Store wire dipsy rods

• Musky Ed

First time setting up wire rods for dipsy’s. Have always used powerpro before for my dipsy setups. I have 2 10′ rods for them, and while I have a good sized boat, I don’t think they will fit in the rod box without breaking them down as I have always done on my ones with powerpro. I will be using 19 strand, and they say its real flexable, but still will kink. Not really sure as I haven’t seen the wire yet, as it’s in the mail. Any suggestions from anyone that has used wire setups?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I had 2 piece rods for wire set-up when I had my lake MI rig. I cut swimming noodles in about 6″ pieces and used at the rod ends then velcro. That gave the wire something to stay snug against so it wouldn’t loop up and kink. worked for me

B-man

That’s a pretty good idea Randy.

I break mine down too, but just keep the wire slightly loose.

It won’t kink unless a curly cue is pulled over itself.

Musky Ed

Thank’s for the feedback, really appreciate it. I was thinking about trying something with noodles, and good to hear it worked for you. I do put my rods in my home made rod socks, when storing, but probably wouldn’t be able to with a noodle arrangement. We make the rod socks with black landscape cloth. Wife sews them length and width to fit ea rod. Works fantastic, cheap to make, and guides don’t poke through like commercial netting type ones. May get lucky, and rods will fit in rod box, I know 9′ rods will fit, but never tried 10′ ones. Won’t know that till later this week though, as boat is at our condo.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.