St louis ice report 1-11-11

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Fishing remains on the slower side of things, but the past 2 mornings have shown signs of it picking up a little bit, as some more fish over 12 inches have started to show their faces lol. The ice barely has any snow on it still, but as i type we are getting 2 inches or so. Jigging rods are still outproducing the bobber rods and jigging spoons in the bright chartreuse have been doing good. Hopefully its only up from here on out!

FishinDoc
    Duluth,MN

For details call, it’s on…

Northlander
    Duluth, Mn/Superior,Wi.

I surely wouldnt say “Its ON” yet Troy but you can try to say so I guess.
    Yes you can catch a nice fish every once in a blue moon down where that pic was taken but I wouldnt say “ItsOn” yet.
    Im out almost daily and my norm has been a few very nice perch, a bunch of 10″-14″ eyes with a couple eaters in the mix. Maybe a biggin every 3rd or 5th time out.
    Be careful some cracks starting to open and close again and with the snow cover you may not see them.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Hendo and i made it out this morning and we must have set up over the St Louis River Pre School. Only one walleye over 12 inches made it in and it was about 13 lol. Did lose one that may have pushed 23, but things are still in the dumps! The wind sure turned on the juniors!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Oh ya, and there are 2 new cracks that have about a 1/2 inch of ice on em and are kind of hidden. DO NOT DRIVE OUT YET! There not wide enough for your vehicle to go all the way through but the front end will go in! Hendo and i both stepped on it and before we got even 1/2 our weight on em we broke through. Be very careful!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

The Duluth news stations and DNR have been informing ice anglers in the area that the Shipping season is to be extended a week or more. Shipping thru the Duluth side is done but the Wisconsin side will continue. This means the ice cutter will still be out and in effect everyone needs to use caution still. It IS NOT SAFE to drive a vehicle out right now. this is the culprit, and are 2 more cracks out there, but smaller. Everyday there is at least one person falls thru this crack. It is narrow enough to jump over but a tire from a wheeler or truck would get stuck instantly. The ice is in good condition other than the cracks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the update, Grant. Any word on why they extended the shipping season?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

James:

Guessing that shipping is continuing because Superior is open and they will ship until they can’t get around the ends of the Lake, but that is nothing more than a guess…

Mark

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

yeah all the salties are done but exports have been up and there is demand so there going to continue for awhile.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

yeah all the salties are done but exports have been up and there is demand so there going to continue for awhile.

Can’t blame them for trying to extend the season if there’s a demand for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.