Come on folks……….

• FishingJunky1
    Duluth Minnesota

Let’s get this board a rollin’. What’s your best day ever out on the river? I went through 3 dozen leeches and 2 dozen crawlers in about 3 hours one time. Many leeches were used for a couple fish. Most fish was between 3-6 pounds. Ah, the good ‘ol days. Let’s hear about it. Junky……..

wormburner
    duluth mn.

i’ll give it a whirl! best day on the river,about the third week of july this summer, with my boy who’s 10, 31.5″ walleye about 11.5 lbs. nicest walleye i’ve hooked. my goal, was a 6-8LB for out there,did that plus a little more, JUST A GRET DAY!!!!!!! i know what ya mean, i put a listing on the other site under bass forums,not many replies, maybe everyone’s fishin’.after this fish,it’s bass time! “catch ya”

FishingJunky1
    Duluth Minnesota

Awesome fish worm. I took my brother out this year and he hooked into a 30.5. Only wieghed out at 7.5 though as it had just spawned. The river is really a great place to fish. Been more into Saganaga though this year, so only made it out a half dozen times or so. Have a good one, Junky……

wormburner
    duluth mn.

it really is hard to go any where else,the river is such a great fishery, what ever the dnr has done out there they did it right! they should really consider doing something at island lake, like putting a slot size on. this lake could be another good one,look at the surroundings, gravel,rock,wood.maybe it is good,i’ve just never gotten any sizers out of there,but i just don’t fish it enough.

stfcatfish
    Superior, WI

Sorry guys, I’ve lived here a year and my only day on soft water on the river was out of a canoe. Had a little musky on and my wife caught a 5 lb pike. So when it comes to open water on the river, I’m sucking up info instead of providing it. I’m especially interested in finding a few musky and smallmouth haunts. Done a fair amount of ice fishing on a couple Wisconsin-side inlets of the St. Louis, though. Best day there was about 10 crappies from 11 to 14 inches, half a dozen perch to 1.25 pounds. Tends to be fairly slow but steady action.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Wormburner, Island lake you say. It has been quite a while since I’ve been there but I used to camp out on that lake as a kid growing up. My folks would just drop me off with some friends and all our gear at Island Beach resort and come back after a few days to gather us up. There are a lot of nice spots to fish there. Have you ever been to a spot called the falls. It’s excellent for eyes. I remember a family outing to Island lake ( I think it was our first after moving to Duluth from Germany) And we lost some huge Northerns. We didn’t know about steel leaders but we found out quick. There’s a little lake that you drive past going to Island Beach resort that is called Fredenburg. Man you gotta go catch some gills out of there. they are huge. How about Boulder Lake, Fish Lake, Rice Lake I used to ride a bike to the Rice lake dam and fish. There a housing deveopment on arrowhead road that used to be AirForce base housing and thats where I spent part of my younger years. Great memories. If you need to know some spots up there to fish, I can tell you about a lot of the local lakes. There used to be a warm water discharge on the St Louis River by the power plant I believe. It looked like a square pond. I think if I remember right we used to slide a 12 foot cartopper over a berm. Is it still there (great open water fishing)even in the winter. This is long enough so good to see someone that knows about Island Lake on the board. Steve

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I spent one of my misspent college years living in that development on Arrowhead – think they are called Aspenwood now. Man I miss being that close to hunting and fishing. Used to go to class fish fresh blood under my fingernails.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Good to here from you Bluefin. You know that lttle creek that runs through the development. I guess it’s more of a ditch there but if you follow it downstream towards town you can catch some really nice trout in there. The creek dumps into a couple of ponds by Chester Bowl. Some nice little water falls and good deep holes for fishing from there down. One of my largest trout cam from that creek when I should of been in school. I caught it across from the clubhouse where the creek enters the first pond. Man that was a long time ago. I got to get back up there and visit some of those spots.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.