New Forum and a welcome to Steve Prose!~

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

With the help of Steve “jigmaster” Prose, FTR has been able to add the St. Louis River to our coverage area. Steve fishes the St. Louis extensively and is willing to share information with all of us here interested in that area. Apparently the fishing up there is as good, maybe better, than what we have on Pool 4 of the Mississippi River! Steve fishes both areas quite a bit and he pointed out to us that the fishing holds strong well into the summer… its not just an opening day destination.

So lets all offer Steve a warm welcome and if you have any questions to ask, or info on the area to share, this is the place for it.

We welcome you Steve!!

EFN Webstaff

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Welcome Steve! So, I guess the question on everyone’s mind is, how’s the walleye bite been up there?!

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Man, now all of my hotspots are on here! This is great. Let me tell you the St. Louis can be phenomanal! I have had many 30-50 fish days (per person!) in the spring time. The best thing is the hottest fishing can be in early June and you don’t have to freeze your butt off like Pool 4 sometimes (I’m really not complaining). On cold springs like this one, you can run into some spawning females as well. There is a pretty sizeable tournament up there this coming weekend and I heard that a lot of the prefisherman have boated many fish in the 6-8 pound category. Most openers the fish have already spawned and the bite actually picks up a couple of weeks later as the fish head back downriver and lasts all the way into July. Trolling three-ways or bottom bouncers with spinners/crawlers along the channel (only 7-8′ in many spots) can be siimply awesome! I would have to say you will catch bigger fish more consistently in Pool 4, but as far as average size and numbers the Louis’ will give Pool 4 a run for its money. Anybody else fish up there? Welcome aboard Steve Prose! How often do you get out on the St. Loius? I would love to pick your brain sometime if you don’t mind.

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

River was a little slow due to cold rainy weekend.I was out on sunday morning we got 9 walleyes biggest 20 1/2 ” Water temp was only 44.9 so fishing will only get better.report more wed.

fireflick
    Alma WI

Welcome Steve. I look forward to reading your reports. I have heard many good things about this river and always wanted to fish that river. Maybe now with some good reports coming from there I can finally make my way up there. Welcome.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome aboard Steve. I also have heard good things about that river. It sounds like a real good fishery. Is the limit still only 2 walleyes? Thanks, Bill

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

Tuesday report -fishing is getting better alot of 20-28″ fish coming from 6-8 feet of water on bottom bouncers or lindy rigs using 2 foot snell with a floater. 2 fish limit must be 15″

most fish are still way up stream.Males are full of milk yet

If you have never been on the. river before stay in channel or you will be in the mud.The river channel is marked and bouys are numbered.If your coming up and never fished it before let me know i help with more info.and the latest info.

richardsmith
    Owatonna Mn 55060

Welcome Steve !!

Never have fished your neck of the woods, But never say never, hope to soon. Thanks for the info !!

Richard (Smitty)

Keep a tight line !!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Welcome Steve,

Glad to have someone keeping an eye on the “eyes” up there and all the other species for that matter.

Its been a few years since I have fished the St. Louis River but also have had some good times up there as well.

St. Louis River/Spirit Lake is beautiful country.

Keep the reports coming!

Good Luck

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Steve, Glad to see the new thread! I am heading up Friday for the long weekend.First time fishing the area but have a friend in Superior that has been fishing the St. louis for a couple of years. I was wondering about blade colors and weight size for the bottom bouncers that works well.I can pick tackle up at the Cabelas in Owatonna on the way up. Thanks for any info and will be watching your reports.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.