The Best For Last??

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

How about we go with the theory that we save the best for last? As you can see from the image, Island Lake, Boulder, FIsh. etc are pretty much covered up!! I dont know how thick the ice is but there is ice!

BUT, the good ole St Louis river is still pretty much wide open despite my high hopes that there would be ice. Places like Allouez bay and spirit lake have ice, but the areas with moving water are wide open. Im guessing it will be at least another week, if not more before we see any ice being formed.

Looks like inland lake walleyes and panfish are in order for awhile! Im hoping to get out starting monday! Will report back with current ice conditions then! Stay safe!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So if the river is open don’t you go fish it from the boat? Would guess those eyes dont show up just because there is ice over head.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What site do you use for those sat imagines? They are cool looking.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

So if the river is open don’t you go fish it from the boat? Would guess those eyes dont show up just because there is ice over head.

That is true, but it just doesnt appeal to me. The boat is put away, ice fishing is almost here so im getting that gear ready, and numerous othert things that keep me busy. But hey, your more than welcome to come up! LOL

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

And that is the MODIS imagery.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Someday Ill make it up there when the schedule allows. Do you ever see any boats out fishing this time of year on the river? Any place that has big walleyes and little boat traffic would be very appealing.

biff

The problem with getting a boat out now is most of the protected areas that you would launch from are frozen over. Maybe if you tried it a bit earlier in the month. Now it would be tough to do. I looked around a bit today. Back bays and protected shorelines are frozen but the wide open areas are open water. It looks ready. A cold snap and calm wind would get it frozen but looks like its gonna warm up this weekend so…prob gonna have to wait a bit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.