St Louis River post opener eyes

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

To cut right to the chase, hit or miss is the name of the game lately from what I have noticed, one day you fish 3 hours and pull 16, and the next you put in 4 hours and catch perch, sturgeon and muskies and the walleyes are nowhere in sight. Varying weather patterns, and water temps may be to blame. Those hot, sunny calm days which are ideal for us fishermen, are brutal for the fish as it seems they simply vanish. My best day lately had the winds blowing upwards of 17 mph.

Fishing from boyscout down to the harbor, results have varied and the fish are very scattered about. Right now the majority of the fish being caught are in that 18 to 22 inch range, with not much smaller or larger being caught, at least on the end of my rods. Shallow water as always has been kicking out fish along with the deeper ledges. Cranks such as husky jerks and shad raps have been producing for those looking to cover water, and once you find em, slowing down and pulling harnesses in your classic river colors such as chartreuse and orange has worked well.

Water temps are 64 up river, and mid to high 50’s down in the harbor. Weed growth hasn’t started quite yet but it will any day now. I’m thinking some stable weather will help out the bite a lot, as some days it can’t get much worse out there! If your struggling to find fish, I would recommend pulling cranks to cover water and locate some fish. You can search a much larger area pulling 2.3 mph with cranks than you can 1.1 or 1.2 with spinners. As for a specific spot, your guess is as good as mine. I would just advise staying below boyscout as I feel there are not much fish above that area. All in all, get out there and see what happens, there are plenty of fish to be caught, and as with anything have fun!

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Great report. I love the St Louis in the spring. Are the fish ahead of schedule? My bro in law said boats were piled up by bouy 19. Seams early for that. But I live too far away to really know.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.