St Louis river crappies

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Due to the more than disappointing walleye fishing as of late on the river, yesterday i switched gears and went on a search and destroy mission for crappies. I scoured pokegama and Kimballs bay from sun up to just before sun down in search of these fish that i rarely target.

6 hours into it and still not one crappie was caught. I tried depths from 3 to 24 feet and only had a bunch of 2 to 8 inch perch and one pike to show for it. And then finally around 230pm the first crappie came through the hole. Magic depth? 12 feet. Magic lure? yup you guessed it, a tiny 1/16th ounce slender spoon with the treble hook loaded with waxies. Fishing was very good and then it just died come 315pm when the fish would no longer move an eyeball to look at your lure. I didnt see any fish over 12.5 inches but they are biting out there and i am sure to return soon!

Please use caution if you are still out there on the river. If your traveling by atv or sled, stay on or near shore as there are spots with 1/4 inch of ice out there. I found plenty of areas that with one 1/2 kick of the boot you could make your own hole in the ice. talk about the opposite of comforting.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.