River Walleyes are turned on!!

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

If you have been out on the St Louis River lately, you have probably noticed the abundance of fish that are being caught. I’m talking 30, even 40 walleyes per morning or evening. Okay, now the bad side. Over half of these fish have been 6 to 14 inches. BUT there are still some dandies being caught as i have had 2 in the past 4 times out. Last night was more like crappie fishing that anything, as it was literally one fish after another, with quite a few over 15 inches, up to 20 inches.

Lately, I have left the Otter Cabin back at home and have been hold hopping in deeper water. I have left the shallows and have been targeting 12 to 30 feet. A silver 5/16th oz slender spoon with a minnow head has been the ticket. The fish have been very aggressive as they will hit without hesitation, or without even seeing them on a flasher.

If you head out in the near future, use caution. I was fishing in an area last night that had no more than 4 inches of ice and with all the 4 wheelers out there it could get ugly. I would focus on deeper water, and not necessarily just the shipping channels all over the river, as there is plenty of deep water elsewhere.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Wish I could get up there. Any active fish during the day between morning and evening bite?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Yes there is quite a bit actually, which is very nice to see. That 2pm hour has been hot!! I have been putting in some extended hours as of late, which is awesome!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Well that changes everything. Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.