Duluth- St Louis River Conditions

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Some days it feels like winter is here, and others like today feel like spring. Luckily, we have had a lot of wintery feeling days lately so the ice is pretty solid out there right now. There is currently 4 inches of snow on top of the ice which makes for VERY difficult pulling conditions, so a snowmobile or wheeler is preferred. I heard a rumor of a vehicle being out there but i would not suggest it. As of right now, there are no big cracks in the harbor or even upriver for that matter.
    This is the time of year when there gets to be big crowds in certain areas so i usually find myself spreading out in search of new waters. What i generally like to look for are feeding flats in which the walleyes will move up on in low light times of the day. These can be anywhere from 4 to 14 feet of water, and can be 1 acre to 1000 acres in size. Whether it is in the harbor, arrowhead flats, spirit lake, etc there are a ton of these fish holding spots that produce, so dont feel like it is necessary to fish next to 30 other houses, you sure wont find me there
    Custom Jigs and Spins slender spoons still continue to put fish on the ice on a daily basis for me.
    Right now, there seems to be a wave of smaller fish occupying the harbor and up to arrowhead flats. Lots of 12 to 17 inch fish, with a few bigger ones mixed in, but the majority are those smaller males.

Northlander
    Duluth, Mn/Superior,Wi.

Grant I have been moving down towards the cheesey entry and fishing more by the discharge and then the hotel. Im contacting some nicer fish each time out. The area thats walkable from the rowing club area has been hit hard and theres just small fish there. Problem being too much noise. Guys showing up at prime time driving wheelers in circles and drilling 50 holes. One guy drilled holes from shore to the channel looking for a depth change. I laughed my azz off watching him do that with a big old model 30 Jiffy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.