St Louis River 6-18-11

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

With the recent rains, the current has picked up a little, and water clarity has been decreasing. Fish are still being caught all over the river, from up by the 23 bridge to down in the harbor. Shallow water is still producing a lot of fish.

We spent the day pulling 2 crankbaits 35 feet behind boards, and longlining 2 of them behind the boat and had 9 fish by 11 am. Nothing huge but nice fish. Color didn’t matter a whole lot just anything on the brighter side of things worked. I think 7 different lures got fish.

The weeds are starting to come up and there are fish relating to them whether you are up river or down. We had an event this past weekend and there were a lot of big fish caught in the 5 pound range. With the cold weather we have been having, they are still holding up in the river. HIgh’s for the next 3 days are in the 40’s. Water temps are still very very low, as this is not a normal summer lol.

Now is the time to get out there, as fishing is the best it has been all year right now. There is no one specific area that is holding fish, so find yourself an area you like and pull spinners or cranks and you should have some fish. Just stay away from the extremely muddy areas such as Pokegama bay or Alluez. Yes you can catch fish in them but your chances are much higher in the rest of the river in the clearer water where the fish can see your baits.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Great Tips Grant!

It certainly isn’t a “normal” year for water temps is it!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Its crazy! we still have water temps in the upper 40’s low 50’s. The past few days 50 degrees has been our daytime high, and 40’s are all too common. I don’t know the last time i have seen the sun lol. And the winds are another story themselves. Just a BRUTAL year weather-wise so far this year. The big lake is relentless!! I’m jealous of all your guys’ 70 degree days

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I hear ya Grant! Three trips to Cheq Bay and blown off the water nearly every day… I’m waiting until July to come back up there!

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

Thanks for the report, Grant. I have to be up in that area this week-end. The MIL lives in the Morgan Park neighborhood. I’m going to drag the boat up so I can get away. Now I have a great idea of where to start.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

I hear ya Grant! Three trips to Cheq Bay and blown off the water nearly every day… I’m waiting until July to come back up there!

You would think the stable weather would arrive sooner or later! There have been 5 plus foot waves on superior for almost 5 days straight now. Gale warnings tomorrow lol.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Thanks for the report, Grant. I have to be up in that area this week-end. The MIL lives in the Morgan Park neighborhood. I’m going to drag the boat up so I can get away. Now I have a great idea of where to start.

Perfect, you can put in right at Clyde Ave, or Boyscout there and head out. Fish being caught right by each landing. Hopefully we will have descent weather!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.