St Louis River Walleye

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

The walleye bite on the river has been somewhat confusing this year. It is almost as though the article written in the Duluth News Tribune stating the river and walleye patterns alike are changing is well…..spot on. With the rapidly exploding population of zebra muscles, the water is getting clearer, and with that, the overall ecosystem of the river has changed. Different types of weeds now consume previous fish holding areas as we get into June. The shad are abundant, and now us fishermen must adapt to the changes in order to be successful.

Don’t get me wrong, There are still plenty of fish to be caught, but it may take a little more work and time compared to six or seven years ago.

The Twin Ports Walleye Association walleye tournament that took place on the river on the 21st and 22nd was a huge success as we saw close to 50 boats, and many great prize donations from the sponsors. This also showed everyone where the best bites were on the river and where the majority of the fish were. With the late spring, many people anticipated a great jigging bite above the highway 23 bridge where these fish go to spawn. Long story short, it seemed as the majority of the fish were down river, a few miles from the spawning grounds, feeding on the flats. Weather it was community holes in spirit lake, or below on arrowhead flats, or anywhere in between, it seemed as the majority of the fish were and still are here. Fishing was not fast and furious but boats were and are able to scratch out a limit or two.

One thing i have noticed in the past few years is you can never be too shallow to catch walleye. One, two, three feet of water is common territory for walleyes, and big ones at that. Bottom bouncers, spinners on planer boards, cranks all have their time and place. This past week, crawler harnesses 20 feet behind a board with no weight was yielding fish in two to three feet of water. Classic river colors such as gold, orange and chartreuse are still top producers. Even if you have to net fish with the board on, you are not too shallow in my mind.

I recommend finding a presentation you are comfortable and confident fishing with, and take that to a new area you have never fished before because it can pay off big time! The walleyes are using new areas and depths of the river and it is up to us to find them again!

brianjkuphal

hey grant,thanks for the info on the river/not sure if i will get to come over there yet this summer,but if i make it i will let you know what happens,looks like you got a few nice ones there,keep catchin em /later…

biff

I dont know if I buy the clearer water theory. Most areas of the river are still very dark. I definitely dont think that accounts for the relativly poor numbers of fish the last few years. I too remember when 100+ fish days were possible. I dont know whats going on. Probably just some big year classes that made the early to mid 2000’s so great. Its a big complicated system and maybe we just got spoiled but maybe well get the big numbers again someday.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Yeah, something has changed. You sure have to grind it out if you want fish lately. It is tough to buy the water theory this time of year with the spring run off and rains. Like you said, hopefully it will bounce back.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Fishing has been a little on the tough side but the harbor and allouez bay are starting to kick out some fish. I got a few up in spirit lake this morning, so there are fish spread out in quite a few places. I was pulling cranks this morning but spinners are still producing best. I just temporarily ran out of patience and needed to move faster than 1 mph for a few hours today

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.