Stinger hooks and plastic's

• basseyes

A couple years back I saw a post with a guide who had been fishing small jigs with small paddle tails with stinger hooks for short biters. If I’m remembering correctly he was fishing them vertical.

Does anyone have any tips on running small jigs with plastics and stinger hooks?

Don’t figure it’s something a guy would use a lot, but would be a good thing for certain specific conditions.

Buckeye86
    Inactive

I believe u would rig it same as u would. Minnow. You could leave the stinger loose or put it in the end of the plast but be sure to rig it so that it doesn’t impart on the action of your plastic. You can always shorten up your plastic as well to have a higher hook up ratio

Buckeye86
    Inactive

I believe u would rig it same as u would a Minnow. You could leave the stinger loose or put it in the end of the plast but be sure to rig it so that it doesn’t impart on the action of your plastic. You can always shorten up your plastic as well to have a higher hook up ratio

jon amundson

I believe that was river Dan. U think he coated eyed if long shank treble stinger hook with heat shrink. Could also use a swivel with eye bigger than barb split ringed to hook eye then heat shrink . this will give a little length the heat shrink keeps barb from pulling back out and stiffens swivel to hook connection.

joshkral

If you’re getting short strikes try one or two sizes lighter in the jig head to allow the fish to suck it in. Smaller diameter line will help smaller jigs sink deeper.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I messed with stingers for a number of years and finally decided that with plastic a stinger just isn’t needed. A jig used with live bait can benefit at times from a stinger as can a bucktail at times. Stingers in general have a place, but stingers are not always needed and the fish will let you know if the extra hook will help.

basseyes

Never really used stingers much, but on the river when I’ve got kids in the boat I’m just curious if they could help on slower strike days.

Lighter jigs definitely help. I go back and forth on line with inexperienced anglers in the boat and braided/super lines. It seems once they get a little bit of the feel down, they tend to set the hook incredibly fast. Sometimes that is helpful, other times it’s kind of funny.

On smaller jigs with small paddle tails never really thought about shortening up the plastic. Do it all the time on bigger plastics, but never on small paddle tails on 3/32oz jigs. That’s a good idea, seems simple and obvious but just never really thought about shortening up something already so short.

I’m sure it was River Dan, thanks! I knew I was forgetting something else he did with the shrink wrap. It looked efficient and like it’d work. If I’m remembering correctly it was tiny treble hooks, then he put the hook on the top side of the plastic to avoid snags as much as possible. Devil’s in those little details.

Appreciate it!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Stingers can add an element of hazard to the fishing if kids are being allowed to unhook their own fish. A sudden rock of the boat could put hooks in hands awful easy so I’d be leery of using them when kids, especially small ones, fishing.

Shortening a bait is maybe one of the best unsung tricks one can use to help end short hits from not getting to the hooks. The fish are targeting the movement of the paddle and strike at it. If the paddle is closer to the hook, hooking chances increase dramatically.

With the braids it pays to wait a 2 count before reacting to feeling a hit. Get kids comfortable with that idea and they’ll do better with hook ups.

basseyes

Great point with kids. Even tying a few, man those tiny treble hooks are troublesome trying not to sink one of those sharp suckers in a finger.

Did river Dan use shrink wrap or liquid electric tape?

buschman
    Pool 2

Shortening a bait is maybe one of the best unsung tricks one can use to help end short hits from not getting to the hooks. The fish are targeting the movement of the paddle and strike at it. If the paddle is closer to the hook, hooking chances increase dramatically.

I agree 100%… Would never put a stinger on a plastic. If they are hitting short the advise above is a good option or go to a different profile or color plastic. Walleyes should inhale plastics once you dial in the correct combo.

basseyes

I’d never seen stingers on plastics, it’s an interesting concept before River Dan’s post.

Definitely like the idea of shortening up plastics or even going down to a smaller, almost crappie size plastic when the bites are a touch short.

It’s entertaining to get stuff dialed in for young to mid teens. From the line to the size of jigs and plastics is a challenge sometimes. When fish are going everything is easy. When the bites off a bit, that’s fun to work through.

jon amundson

I believe heat shrink wrap would hold up better.I use the liquid when I have too or for making longer stingers with mono. I use a crimp to make a loop in line then dip in liquid tape to make like store bought. Also use the quick clips for fireball jigs. I’ve never had a problem using stingers unless fishing timber. I like stingers on plastics and live bait. To each their own.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

In my opinion fish hit plastic hard enough you don’t need a stinger. All I see it doing is messing up the action of your plastic. A stinger on a hair jig is a little more practical to me.

basseyes

Yeah, stingers seem like they’d be more trouble than they’d be worth 99% of the time. But I’d bet they’d make enough of a difference for a guide to use them at certain times.

Cutting down small paddle tails was something I’d never thought about doing and that’s a great tip.

Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciate it!

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

In my opinion fish hit plastic hard enough you don’t need a stinger. All I see it doing is messing up the action of your plastic. A stinger on a hair jig is a little more practical to me.

Almost had to do surgery on every fish today. Every fish inhaled a 3/8 jig and moxie. Glad there was only 1 hook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.