Stick steering?

• primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

Shopping for a used boat, motor and trailer and found one I like and priced right. Trouble is it has “stick steering” where you set up front and drive and steer with the stick. Thing is I fish right in and up close to log jams in the Mississippi river. With a tiller motor I know how to react and get myself out of trouble. but I know nothing with stick steering. Anyone have any experience with the stick steering and throttling stuff?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Assuming you tie off on log jams from the bow of the boat you might like already being up there in the front to take care of that. Stick steer is easy to get use to and most guys like it for the river. The steering unit takes up less room and has much faster steering responce time than a wheel anyway. In a smaller boat I’d prefer tiller first then stick both over a wheel.

mojogunter

I had to look up a stick steering system. I am 50 years old and had never heard of it, much less seen one. Where would the advantage of a stick steering boat be an advantage over a tiller or a wheel boat? Are they common down south?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I had to look up a stick steering system. I am 50 years old and had never heard of it, much less seen one. Where would the advantage of a stick steering boat be an advantage over a tiller or a wheel boat? Are they common down south?

I live in WI and have seen them,and drove 1, before……not quite as handy as a tiller but better than a wheel……I like them personally…..

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Had to Google myself as well. Pretty freaking cool you ask me. Not my style but if it was.

The way you mainly fish Ron rife, that almost seems to be a perfect setup. I’d at least check it out.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Have never seen one in minnesota. How does something like that handle at full speed?

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Had to Google myself as well. Pretty freaking cool you ask me. Not my style but if it was.

The way you mainly fish Ron rife, that almost seems to be a perfect setup. I’d at least check it out.

I agree nick, seems like a sweet setup for certain applications!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

They are not to bad.I used to run one that my father had years ago.I assume it is a smaller HP motor,most of them i have seen were.They are very responsive.I don’t think you would want to troll much with it.I would not shy away from it if it’s got everything else you want.

mann4ducks

I have an 18’ mod v with a 115/90 jet pump Got from a guy back east that set it up for the Susquehanna river PA. I use it at times on the CO river CO and on the white river AR. Takes getting use to being up front but with weight forward this boat jumps the hole fast and you can read the water better. This thing will turn /slip 90 on a dime They use them down south as a crappie set up when fishing out of the front. We are taking it to the south fork of the snake ID this yr. good luck

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I learn something new everyday here on IDO. This takes the cake. Had to research it myself. Kinda cool I must say.

papaperch

If you prefer fishing from the front seat. Stick steering is an unbeatable system. In small boats 16 foot and under. Space is at a premium and stick steering saves quite a bit of room. As opposed to console steering.

Up here in Yankee land you will not see as many as you do in Rebel country. After fishing in one down south. I converted a 16 foot Starcraft from console to stick. Was well pleased with conversion.

Several boat makers market stick setups. But dealers up here seldom stock them or display them. The names of the models usually have ” crappie ” or ” panfish ” incorporated in their title.

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I chickend out on the stick steer boat although it looked like a fun boat to have, Found a great 16′ Jon with 25 Yamy, 5 seasons old, barely used. No buyers remorse there, great outfit.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I’m with the others that hadn’t heard of them or seen one.
    55 and still learnign something new everyday

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve seen them in the crappie models made by Tracker, Lowe, etc. There is something about the simple, utilitarian nature of those boats that I’ve liked.

Terrell Oubre

I’m having trouble with my new stick steering. Pulling hard to the right. What brand stick steering do you have? HELP! Thx

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s probably more the outboard being mounted off-center than the steering stick. It could also be a prop issue if the prop is leaning towards the power side of things.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I’m having trouble with my new stick steering. Pulling hard to the right. What brand stick steering do you have? HELP! Thx

Does your engine have a trim/torque tab sticking down from the cavitation plate, just above the prop? If so try adjusting it. It’s there just for that reason. Turn the trailing edge away from the direction the engine is pulling to.

munchy
    NULL

Have you tried bringing it back to the dealer?

B-man

Does trimming up the motor help? Could just be prop torque.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.