State Park Camper Cabins

• Riverrat

Every year I take my nephew to a state park and camp. We’ve gotten pretty lazy and like using cabins for comfort. We’ve been too Maplewood, Glendalough, Itasca, Vermillion, Bears Head, Lake Carlos. Thinking about Laq qui Parle this year but checking for possibilities on the north shore. Any suggestions for camper cabins around the North Shore or Up Nort?

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Stayed at Glendalough this fall…nice experience as my FW doesn’t want to tent camp any more, but we enjoy hiking the parks.

I’m curious about what’s available on the north shore as well.

Pete

B-man

I always thought it would be fun to stay at one on Upper Red

Riverrat

Is that Big Bog State Park?

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Is that Big Bog State Park?

ive been to them. they are nice and have a campground there also

B-man

Yes

They have a bunch of boat slips there too. There’s a handful within within easy walking distance of the cabins, and more down the river (to the north by the camper spots).

Here’s a map showing state park cabins

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230224-143045.png

Riverrat

Thank You B-Man thats a good map. The maps I was looking at had too much stuff. Jay Cooke looks like an option.

Gitchi Gummi

Riverrat, I know you said camper cabins but I’m just throwing this out there…
    There are several different places to stay up the gunflint trail that would offer a similar experience as a camper cabin in a state park. I’d go as far to argue that the gunflint trail is cooler and has more to offer than the majority of state parks anyways. Not to mention it is on the doorstep of the BWCA.

Trailcenter has a couple cabins that would fit the bill for you and while not as cheap as a camper cabin, they’re pretty reasonable. You could easily day trip into the BWCA (or explore one of the many lakes or trails outside of the BWCA) and get dinner from Trailcenter later that day – best of both worlds.

Reef W

There’s a few parks with tipis or wall tents too

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230224_162818_Firefox.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve always wanted to stay in one of the tipis, but they don’t allow dogs, if I recall.

MX1825

I’ve always wanted to stay in one of the tipis, but they don’t allow dogs, if I recall.

Well if it’s not good enough for my dog it’s not good enough for me.
    whistling

Deuces

If you’re a weekend warrior fwiw when I googled reservations for any of the tents/cabins offered in the winter about month ago or so now couldn’t find a single one open for a weekend. Perhaps things have changed since then.

People are loving the great outdoors, which is great, but it also means people are loving the great outdoors taking up my reservation space dangnabbit. As soon as grand Marais municipal campground went on sale my mom, sis and myself got on to get space and was sold out within 3 min.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Some county parks even have cabins to rent. The ones near Jacobson I have never seen used and look brand new.

queenswake
    NULL

Scenic State Park is another good park that at least for campsites, are easy to find even in the peak of summer. A lot of nice panfish, bass, and pike in that park. Very peaceful with nothing else on the two lakes but the park.

Brad Dimond

Afton State Park, Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area and Glendalough State Park have yurts. No electricity, no indoor cooking, primitive share toilets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.