state fair

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

does BK have a scaleless walleye booth set up there???????????

who’s going??? momma and i are on sunday!!!!!! turkey legs, cheese kurds, fries……scenery… devil devil a visit to the DNR area. like checking out the hounddogs too!!!!!! momma’s goal……….sweet martha’s cookies. i gotz a thing for that nicky nack place next to that big carpet slide.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

we might go, does anyone know if there’s any boat vendors that will be there? I know I’ve seen Ranger/G3 boats in the past, would love to check some out!

Hoyt4
    NULL

I will be there with the feed bag on at least 1 or 3 times :).

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wife and I are going Sunday. I hate the place but she loves it so I settle on going once every 5 years or so

BrianF

Corn on the cob, lemonade, and Sweet Martha’s are on my agenda. What are other ‘must have’s’?? I’m looking for a new favorite.

zooks

Will not be going but certainly would like to – I’m not an annual or multiple trips per year type but like to go most years. Mostly still waiting for the kids to get a bit older (currently 6 and 3 1/2) so they can make it for more than a couple hours before bringing them along.

Pronto Pup, fresh french fries, and a strawberry shake from the dairy barn are my go-to items.

we might go, does anyone know if there’s any boat vendors that will be there? I know I’ve seen Ranger/G3 boats in the past, would love to check some out!

Haven’t heard but would guess they’d be up on Machinery Hill if anywhere.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Blueberry beer and salt water taffy. The scenery can be distracting at times too. Outside of that, I could give a hoot.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Our office takes an afternoon off and a group of us all go together. It’s the pinnacle of the year in terms of building morale and developing friendships with colleagues. One guy is the beer maestro and he maps out our tasting route like a wizard.

Sipping a mini-donut beer while slobbering thru a pile of cheese curds and watching the fish at the DNR pond — all while being paid? Epic. Wouldn’t miss it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

do i need to look for a certain type of plastics again????????? devil

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Blueberry beer and salt water taffy. The scenery can be distracting at times too. Outside of that, I could give a hoot.

distracting…………….yea but in a good way!!!!!!!!! jester whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m with ya bearcat –
    Once every 5 years or so is good for me.

I know fairs are expensive, but when I walk out of there it feels like I was robbed.

When a person only sells cookies for a couple weeks out of the year and makes millions, they are gouging!

With that said, you really can’t beat the people watching. It’s as if people don’t have mirrors at home.

I’m getting dragged there Sunday

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Anyone headed tomorrow? The rain should keep the lines short to nonexistent. Anyone who hates crowds should consider going on a rainy day. My best experiences have been on rainy days.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s back by popular demand!!

One reason to go if you don’t have any others!!

Attachments:
    1. Random-Person.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

I will be going Sunday for the first time in 10 years. Never been the fair-going type, but the wife has been hounding me for years so I gave in…

Never been of fan of sweet martha’s cookies, but Mini-donuts and Cheese Turds are my kryptonite. I always loved the DNR pond when I went as a kid, somewhat excited to check that out.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Plan to be there Saturday, feel free to say hi if you see a guy who looks like this

<——–

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I’d have to be paid (and forced) to go. I can make better cookies, There are a couple places I go to throughout the year that have better cheese curds, corn on the cob isn’t rocket science, neither is lemonade, milk, etc. The whole deal with paying to even walk in there when some of the vendors are raking in millions is just plain stupid. I’ll sweat out in the boat rod tip watching instead of people watching. I’ve never understood the hype. It isn’t just the $$- I spend a lot more on dumber things. I don’t mind bringing the kids to the small county fair but you can have the great MN sweat together.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Picture above, whats a deep fried spam curd. Is it souerd like a cheese curd?
    This almost makes me break my record of 15 years of not going to the fair.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I dislike the fair but the wife likes to go. Side note I worked the fair one year. While in college I would sell cheese curds in the summers at the county fairs. The guy who ran that business is the guy who runs the corn on the cob at the fair. The corn at the fair was his capstone project idea in college. His professor flunked him and said it was a terrible idea. This was about 12 years ago that I worked for him but at the time I was told he would bring home anywhere from $750,000 to 1.5 million just from the corn sales at the state fair. Crazy

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I already went.

It was 1972, I think.

That was enough for me! I hate crowds, and this is the biggest crowd you’ll ever find.

S.R.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Crowds suck, agreed maybe 1x every 5yrs.

Corn is a must though, 2-3 of those guys. Marthas cookies ain’t nothing special except they are fresh and it’s a dam bucket of them, nummy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wear my ido hat. Say hi if you see it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wife lived in St. Paul for 10+ years, so it’s mandatory we go at least once, and all the food helps me maintain the Big in Big Werm jester . The Corn on the Cob is just better than anywhere else I’ve ever had it. Rueben Pickles (Dill pickle wrapped in sauerkraut, thousand island, and secured with pastrami) is a must. I’ll take a corn dog over a pronto pup. And leave anything with fish/seafood off you’re list imo.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I’d have to be paid (and forced) to go. I can make better cookies, There are a couple places I go to throughout the year that have better cheese curds, corn on the cob isn’t rocket science, neither is lemonade, milk, etc. The whole deal with paying to even walk in there when some of the vendors are raking in millions is just plain stupid. I’ll sweat out in the boat rod tip watching instead of people watching. I’ve never understood the hype. It isn’t just the $$- I spend a lot more on dumber things. I don’t mind bringing the kids to the small county fair but you can have the great MN sweat together.

Could not have said it any better myself Pete!!!

I went 10 years ago because the wife made me take the kids. Me and the boys hated it, so that was it for me. smash

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going with my co-workers tomorrow morning. Ends up being mostly stuffing our faces and drinking beer and wishing I could drop a line in the DNR Fish Pond.

blackbay
    mn

It’s like walking into Walmart but with 100X more people and they are eating greasy food.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I believe 1970ish was the last time I went. Really doubt I have missed a thing.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Haven’t been there in years but all the craft beers and the cheese curds could tempt me….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

wishing I could drop a line in the DNR Fish Pond.

I don’t think there’s a sign that says you can’t(?)

Wife always wants me to take her but I’ve been very very lucky over the last several years. She’s been going with a good friend that likes Spam and that lets me off the hook so I can do something important…sleep, fish, sweep the driveway, pull weeds out of the lawn…you know, important stuff.

Thanks Denise!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.