Starting battery replacement ?

• Deleted

My 3 yr old interstate starting battery needs replacement I’m thinking?

Humminbird low voltage alarm is set at 11 amps. I always trickle charge when parked in the garage.

TM is on its own battery, everything else runs back to the starting battery.

Every time except at the initial start at the boat launch, after I’ve been fishing for a while with the TM, I get a low voltage alarm on the Humminbird. It’s always started but when the motor cranks, I’m drawing down below the 11 amps setting. Do I have it set to high or is the batt in need of replacement? This happens even if I don’t use the radio or livewell while the big motor is off.

I have always topped off the cells with distilled water in the fall and kept batts on a trickle charge over winter.

Next ? – what’s the best battery for the $? I’ve heard of guys using big tractor batteries but know nothing about batteries myself.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What bird do you have, what is the wire gauge size and type of wire, how long is the wire length from the battery to the unit, dedicated you say and I assume you have it fused very close to the battery?

My battery is great and now after I just installed new birds I’m experiencing the same screen only when I hit the key to start the big motor. I thought I was good to go when I rewired my grafts. I either need to go to a larger size of wire or add a battery.

Fyi, I run 2 solix G2’s, Interstate AGM (31M-AGM) and my wire gauge is 12g. My units pull 4.56amps and 2.88amps. I had asked prior to the install but had already ordered the wire so I gave it a shot.
    Wire Gauge?

Deleted

Pos & Neg 12 ga marine wires ran separately for both the helix 7 G3 mega Si/Di unit on the dash (8’) and the basic Helix 5 sonar mounted on the bow (16’)….. 3 amp in line fuse on both pos wires 8” from starting battery.

That’s why I’m questioning the need for a new bigger battery for the big motor. Only does it at starting.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I see that your possible power draw is nil, so maybe 1st after you have it fully charged, take it to Interstate and have your charger tested and your battery load tested?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Take the battery in to interstate and have them load test it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.