Staple River smallie baits

• Justin Karriker

So being a southern boy, smallies weren’t easily accessable. In fact, I hated largemouth, but loved small mouth. Now living in MN, I’m intrigued by the possibility of chasing them.

Most smallie hunting will likely be here on the Mississippi above the metro, Coon Rapids and up, and occasionally a lake here and there.

In the past, my smallie fishing was limited to floating the Holston River in East TN and bank fishing rivers in Western NC.

My go to was Texas rigged Strike King Bitsy Tubes, Rebel Craws, and some variety of top water early in the AM.

What are some must haves for the river? I understand if you don’t want to give up your secrets haha

johnnyb
    Davenport, Ia

My goto baits include Bandit 100 & 200 crank baits for fishing current breaks around rock piles, tubes for anywhere you can fish them, and 3.5 to 4 inch swim baits

Justin Karriker

I guess a smarter question would be what the primary forage base is up here. Down south where I’ve caught them it’s crawfish with the occasional shiner and greening towards shiners in colder weather. Shad as well.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Pop R’s are hard to beat for top waters, I personally like varied colored Rapalas 3″ and under in length and also just about any spinner baits.

Justin Karriker

Yep I have a few PopRs. Love this things. Have a bunch on Long As, rogues, and several colors of #5 Shad raps and #7 flicker shads as well. Need to stock back up on soft plastics

dbright
    Cambridge

I usually have a 5″ fluke tied on along with a storm subwart which are not made anymore. Buzzbait is my go to top water.

The white bass and a few smallies got sore lips from a blue and chrome popper this morning.

Justin Karriker

How far up river do white bass extend? Haven’t caught one of those in YEARS. White perch invaded the lakes where I fished and white bass went to the way side.

dbright
    Cambridge

I think pool 2 on the Mississippi. Taylors falls on the Croix not sure how far up the Minnesota.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

White bass are all the way in Big Stone Lake on the Minnesota river.

I will occasionally get a Smalley on the smaller compact tandem spinner baits as well.

In the fall, some Smalley’s have belly full of crayfish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For river smallies in the Midwest here’s my “never leave home without it” list.

#1 – 1/16 & 1/8 oz. Black Hair jig. One of my favorites is the “Standard River Bug” from Jimmy D. http://www.jimmydsriverbugs.com/ If I’m fishing riiver smallies in the Midwest this bait gets about 75% of my fishing time. Point blank, it is deadly.

#2 – Storm Chug Bug

#3 – Buzzbait

#4 – 3″ tube on a 1/8 oz head.

#5 – 4″ stickworm. Fished weightless wacky or T-rigged.

If I’ve got that assortment on hand I’m good to go on the rivers.

Justin Karriker

Hair jigs are always fun. No flipping/bass style jigs? Not a bass fisherman so not exactly sure what they’re called, but jig and pig style jigs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.