St Croix River Question

• bradl110

I know this might be a dumb question but how can you fish the Mississippi year round and not fish the St. Croix. They are both boarder waters…

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

Separate rules for each section of river in the MN regulations. I believe the same is true for the WI regulations.

At the confluence, depending you actually have 3 different rules to follow.
    Put basically:
    1. Up the St. Croix you follow the St. Croix border water rules.
    2. Down from the confluence you follow the Mississippi border water rules.
    3. Up the Mississippi you follow inland MN rules.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pan fishing is open all year on the Croix.

Good question re: walleyes. I don’t even know who a person would ask.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I agree, anyone know the history of why the walleye season closes on the st. croix?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I would imagine they have their own ecosystem that demands scrutiny to sustain whats in that ecosystem.

munchy
    NULL

Could it be because it is considered a national park?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The St. Croix National Scenic Riverway (NSR), including the Namekagon River, was established in 1968 under the National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act and the portion of the river south of St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin, was added to the system in 1972 as the Lower St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. The National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act gives specific protection to selected rivers and their riparian areas and sets the basis for management policy for the Park

The regs I dug up from ’57 would make it seem the seasons date further back than stated here. Kind of curious myself, land/water history is interesting stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.