St Croix River Depths Marine to Taylors Falls

• Hagcel
    Saint Paul, MN

This season I have started fishing for Sturgeon. Although at this point I can only shore fish with no access to a boat. I have been fishing at the Osceola ramp and have been having good luck although the biggest fish has been 28″. So I’m thinking I need to find some deeper water to find the bigger fish.

I’m considering trying the Franconia boat ramp and Interstate State Park boat ramp.

Anyone know approximate river depths in those area’s? Osceola ramp, Franconia Ramp and Interstate (MN) ramp?

With my setup I have been able to cast to the middle of the river from Osceola.

Or perhaps all the big fish are down in stillwater and bayport.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I can’t vouch for the depths, but I caught a 42″ at Interstate last fall.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Not very deep in front of Franconia. low water years you can just about walk across the river there. 5′ might be the deepest. Still a nice place to fish. If you can get up to the Franconia cliffs its 45′ deep there.

If you are looking for deeper water maybe try the Log house landing. 8 to 10′ right off shore there.

Been catching a ton of sturgeon in those areas this summer. For some reason they seem to top out about 40″s. Still fun to catch.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That reminds me. Think Im going to load up the boat now and head over there fishing since work finished up early today.

Hagcel
    Saint Paul, MN

Lucky you!

Thanks for the replies. I’ll add log cabin to the list.

I’m slowly making the transition from lake fishing to river fishing and have been enjoying exploring. Next year I hope to get out there in a boat.

I have been reading Dan Gapen’s Big River Fishing book and he has a chapter where he talks about the walleye migration up to the Taylors Falls dam which should be starting soon. I have caught a few walleye while Sturgeon fishing. Might have to intentionally try from them sometime too in those areas.

catmando
    wis

See if they will let you fish at marine on the minnesota side ,thats the channel side. Next landing up is copas landing . Which is also channelside . Find the town road above osceola it goes to the draw bridge.Thats the deepest water between Marine and franconia. ps you will have to walk the tracks to get to the river. DK.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pretty good action tonight. Red horse are still biting like crazy. Might of caught 30 of them. About a dozen sturgeon. Half dozen walleyes and one lone mooneye. Fantastic quiet evening on the river.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.