St Croix report

• showags
    Hastings, MN

We were out last weekend. The water was not yet as high as it is now, but still pretty high. Had terrible luck. Tried all of the water column trolling and jigging. Anybody going to try this weekend with the high water? Is it worth going out?

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

was thinking about trying this weekend but with the high water and flow rates, I wouldn’t know where to start! Going to head over to Wissota instead…

reefhawgwi
    Hudson WI

I am getting tired of the river flooding every fall.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Based on the amount of boats fishing on the Lower St. Croix this afternoon there’s going to be a lot of skunked fisherman if it’s that bad. I figured the bite was on with all the boats.

Brady Walter

Any new reports? Looking to get the kids out this week while on their MEA break!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Made it out this weekend for a couple hours before the Vikings game. It was pretty slow going at first and then got on a good bite. Mainly white bass, a few walleye/saugers, a few sheepshead and a cat fish. Jig and a minnow in 10-20 fow.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We fishing in a tournament on Saturday. It was tough conditions. Trolled the entire time. Only had 1 fish in the box from 7:30 to 11. We ended up finding a more productive spot and caught 6 more fish by 3:30. We had a couple between 19 and 20 inches. 4 sauger and 3 walleyes. Most of our fish were in 17 FOW.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

We fishing in a tournament on Saturday. It was tough conditions. Trolled the entire time. Only had 1 fish in the box from 7:30 to 11. We ended up finding a more productive spot and caught 6 more fish by 3:30. We had a couple between 19 and 20 inches. 4 sauger and 3 walleyes. Most of our fish were in 17 FOW.

Hey Bzz… where did you launch? Drove through Hudson Sunday and the entire parking lot at the launch was under water… Would really like to hit the Croix this weekend, at least to chart out some of the winter spots.

Brady Walter

Got the kiddo out for a few hours on the river today. Unfortunately the fish didn’t cooperate, but we did manage one nice 17″ walleye on a jig and minnow. Fresh fish appetizer for the family tonight!

Attachments:
    1. 20191016_132938.jpg

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bzzsaw wrote:</div>

Hey Bzz… where did you launch? Drove through Hudson Sunday and the entire parking lot at the launch was under water… Would really like to hit the Croix this weekend, at least to chart out some of the winter spots.

The tournament took off from Bayport. Fishing boats can launch for 15.00 before 9am on weekends. It might be 30.00 after that. Otherwise, the Ferry Landing in North Hudson is free and open during high water. But doesn’t have a dock.

Deuces

Fish appetizers are the best Brady!

toast toast toast

Tom Hubbard

Love that pic Brady. The smiles are priceless.

Good bite happening on lower St.Croix. Launched at Bluffs Regional Park with no issues. One of the docks is still dry.
    All fish caught on Jiggin Raps and Rippin Raps in 18′-22′ of water.
    Water temp around 51°-52°.

Attachments:
    1. 13897.jpeg

2. IMG_20191018_174541324.jpg

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice work Tom and friend. Thanks for the report. I need to get out there for some dinner soon.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I went out Thursday out of bayport. Trolled cranks. A few short walleye, a big white bass, and 5 sauger. 3 of them were 19-21”. I think the 21” sauger was the biggest I’ve ever caught on the croix. One might be a saugeye.

Attachments:
    1. 00C24CB1-A4C1-43BF-A75A-B108045ADBC6.jpeg

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Thinking of sneaking in some hours tomorrow before storing the boat, Would the bite be okay tomorrow? 40 degree water temp…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They bite all winter canoebasser! waytogo

But they don’t bite on the couch.

Have a good time whether you catch fish for not. It’s going to be a beautiful day!

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

Is it still no wake on the St. Croix?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

It is no wake when over 83 feet. Based on the graph Zooks posted, it will be through next week.

matt

Havnt been pounding them by any means.However with some patience and persistense have had some pretty good days.Vertical or dragging jig/minnow.Water temp was 48-49 yesterday.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

Thanks zooks! My shortcuts to the graph were expired. I also appreciate you including the link so I can update my favorites.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Picked up some fish trolling lead yesterday and some jigging. Water was 47 degrees and still high. Fished afternoon till dark with a consistent bite that never turned to hot unfortunately. Trolling was good in 21-24 feet, jigging in 14-20.

N2i0c0k8

Fished last Sat. for most the day out of St. Croix Bluff. No wake down there but it seems non of the fishing boats (or cruisers for that matter) seemed to care. Everyone was on plane. Fished most the day with jigging raps and dragging jig/minnow. Plenty of numbers but all were under. Couldn’t find the size. Everything came in 22′ fow or less. Anyone know where the keepers are…? ? roll

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When enforcement goes away the cats will play.

buschman
    Pool 2

I fished the Croix yesterday and we did pretty good. Mostly in the morning.. I do not run 3 ways often but they were the best thing we found going.. 20-24 fow running 1-1.5 ounces and the bait of the day was Rapala rip-stops.. I don’t know if you guys use these that run 3ways but the fish were on them. We were pulling them 0.8-1.0 mph. I have never used them on 3way rigs but they worked great. They have a lot more belly wobble than the original floater that I usually run on the 3ways. Also give you a lot more action at the lower speed. They are small so there is really no line drag in the water and could get away running 1 ounce pretty easy.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Caught a few yesterday afternoon jigging plastics and minnows in 26-28 feet. Sauger and eyes. About a mile north of Prescott the river was iced over. Sure was nice fishing with light winds and decent weather.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Fish-them-all,

Cool you get out. I did some boat maintenance stuff up near Hudson yesterday on the water and saw the water temp 32.2 F.

What was the water temp where you were in Prescott?

Happy Thanksgiving ALL!

Turk

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

It was around 34-35. Sorry for the late reply.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Nice thin sheet of ice this morning on the lower end. A few more cold nights and no snow and we’ll be sting pretty

Mitchell Egge

Hello, looking at coming down ice fishing near the new Stillwater bridge. Looks like there is a few shacks off the point across from the xcel energy planT. Just wondering how you think they are getting on the river there? Is it the landing south of the energy plant?

Any help is great.

-tight lines to all.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.