St Croix ice rods

• Dylan Welle

Im debating between the mojo ice series of rods or an avid ice jigging rod. please help. and no I’m not interested in any other brand. Thanks

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Can you please add some more detail on what you are going to use this rod for?
    Presentation
    Lure weight

Dylan Welle

Yes, sorry, I’m looking for a walleye rod. And when the walleye bite ends I usually fish tullibee with my walleye rod in 80 feet of water. But just focus on the walleye part. I can make anything work for the tulibees.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

So are you going to be jigging with a ripping rap or dead sticking with a plan hook or using a large blade or small jig… There are many ways to target walleyes and I would use different rods for each. What presentation are you planning on using? You would want a stiffer rod for ripping raps and a light rod for 1/8 oz jigs.

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

I have a 32″ medium action Avid ice series and is good for ripping raps and reaction type strikes. The rod is a little stiffer so if you fish lighter spoons or jigs might want to consider a medium light or something on that order. Never used the mojo ice though so I won’t be able to offer any advice between the two series of rods. Hope this helps.

Dylan Welle

I plan on using 1/8 oz jigs. Ever heard of a HALI? That’s what I use the most. I usually hole hop, more often than not, no shelter.

Dylan Welle

Thanks Nate, that helped. I was already leaning towards the avid ice jogging rod, but I just wanted to see what mojo ice had to offer.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have the Avid ML jigging and think it would be too stiff for that lure but the light power Avid glass rod may be too light for those depth and getting a good hook set. I have not played with the Mojo ice line because I don’t like the handle. I would guess something in the Mojo ice ML would work well for you but don’t know what kind of back bone that blank has.

heavyraidersfan

I use a 30″ medium avid ice rod exclusively for walleye with a wide variety of lures. I love it! Went through quite a few rods before I found it and it would take a lot for me to change.

Dylan Welle

Thanks for the input… not sure what to think of the mojo.

Christian Slick

Hate to hijack the thread but keep in mind that avids are like $60 if I recall which puts you $30ish dollars away from a custom ice rod. If you want to stay on st Croix great, but I sincerely doubt you’d dislike a jt, tucr, or Thorne

Dylan Welle

I get some sweet discounts with st croix… 40% off and my name engraved into the blank.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I get some sweet discounts with st croix… 40% off and my name engraved into the blank.

How does a guy get that deal? Who is engraving your name on it?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

How does a guy get that deal? Who in engraving your name on it?

My nephew has the same deal. It is through the high school bass championship he won or something like that. Wish I had that available for me in high school. The name is not engraved on the blank but painted on like their pro staff rods. St. Croix will put his name on it before they ship it to him.

Dylan Welle

Yes I get it through my high school fishing league, and yes correct it’s on the blank.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yes I get it through my high school fishing league, and yes correct it’s on the blank.

That is a sweet deal, props to St Croix for doing that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.