St croix custom ice

• ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Wondering if anyone has fished with the light action and how it compares to a precision noodle action wise. Looking for something to sight fish jigs down to 1\64 or 1\32 without a spring bobber.

Deuces

Sorry, inside joke Scott.

Hopefully someone can help ya out with a bump.

Attachments:
    1. 3b6gs0.jpg

Dan Baker

I’m not an expert on the St. Croix rods, but from handling them in Cabelas last year, it looked like their noodle rod is similar to a Bullwhip with about half the noodle tip removed. The result was that it seemed like the tip was a bit stiffer than the Bullwhip, which would leave it quite a bit stiffer than the Precision Noodle. Just from feel, the backbone seemed similar. Biggest difference is that the St. Croix rod is a hollow core blank and the Precision Noodle and Bullwhip are solid core blanks. Of course, I could be mistaken, this was just from in-store inspection.
    Dan

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The light St Croix Custom ice rod is a solid carbon blank and the Precision Noodle is a fiberglass blank. Carbon is normally lighter and more sensitive than fiberglass and fiberglass is more flexible or carbon is more for feel the bite and fiberglass is seeing the bite. Not all the St. Croix custom ice rods are designed the same or use the same materials. Some of them are a hollow core but not the “light” ones.

Dan Baker

The light St Croix Custom ice rod is a solid carbon blank and the Precision Noodle is a fiberglass blank. Carbon is normally lighter and more sensitive than fiberglass and fiberglass is more flexible or carbon is more for feel the bite and fiberglass is seeing the bite. Not all the St. Croix custom ice rods are designed the same or use the same materials. Some of them are a hollow core but not the light ones.

Ahh, there you go. Learning something new.
    Thanks,
    Dan

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Tks, exactly what I was looking for. Next question, are they truly custom? blush lol

catmando
    wis

Question, if your sight fishing for panfish, won’t any old short rod that has a lite tip that loads quick work. Your sight fishing.

I had a very short lived ownership of the light sight bite model. I agree sensitivity isn’t a requisite, but it was tactiley dead compared to my Thorne sweet peas and such. The kicker was the tip top was offset a good 10 degrees to the right. I couldn’t decide if it was a blem or a feature for right handed anglers. All the rods of that particular model I witnessed had a similar offset I wanted to give it a go for rainbows, but I never even fished with it.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Question, if your sight fishing for panfish, won’t any old short rod that has a lite tip that loads quick work. Your sight fishing.

I was going to specify sight fishing meaning im visually watching the rod tip or spring bobber for bites vs feeling them.

catmando
    wis

Okay Dokay, to me sight fishing is looking down the hole. lol. DK.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Me too! Just hear sight vs feel when it comes to ice rods on forums. I grew up fishing short, hacked off tip down style rods with zero give with a spring bobber, schooley reel, and brought them up by hand. The good old days….purists and purple twurples…!

Veedo

Has anyone checked out the newer rod they came out with this fall? A 32″ mlxf, perch seeker.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

They are putting out really nice blanks and lengths. They just need to put some reel seats on and they will probably sell more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.