St Croix Bite

• triton186
    Hudson, WI

I’m a newbie to the St Croix and haven’t been able to find that consistent walleye bite (I know its out there). Have caught a few fish on bait (crawlers), a few trolling crankbaits on structure, not much luck on the suspended bite….I have found some quality fish but just can’t consistently put it together. I find some similarities to the reservoirs I grew up fishing, mainly huge roving schools of shad! I just know those bigger eyes have to be feasting on those large schools of bait but I can’t seem to scratch one out of there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nate

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

This is a tough time on the Croix. You are not alone. The last 3 weeks of our Walleye League, we’ve only managed 1 good fish each week. Other guys have managed 3 fish but most teams have struggled the past month.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d agree – July and August are tough for everyone. Need the water to cool down a bit and the bite should pick back up.

Go to croixsippi.com and look at some of Turk’s reports and he talks about the mid-summer grind.

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

Muskies have been active for me

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

With weather like we have been having strap on a Shad Rap, Flicker shad or a spinner rig onto some lead line and cruise shorelines. Even if you didn’t catch anything at least you spent a comfortable day on the River. During the week that is! Weekends? All bets are off! I don’t go near the Croix on weekends with the Tuna Schooner hatches going on!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.