!st break fish

• tim hurley

My boat is not especially big for this lake, so i would like to go out at the first breakline and not try to find some mudflat way in the heck out there. If I caught a mix of fish and did not exactly slay one in particular that would be fine. So what access and what strategy would be best for a multispecies deal. With the warm water I think having deep basins nearby would be good (not sure though) So what access should I go out of? Thanks

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

I think the more important question to ask is where is the wind coming from on the day you want to fish. This can make a huge difference on this lake. I fish there every weekend and even though my boat is big enough, I pay close attention to the wind. My favorite site to check is : IWindsurf. Its not always right but I find it helpful.

There are actually quite a number of flats reasonably close to shore on the north end, as well as a couple of nice reefs. If you have a wind out of the north these should be quite accessible with even a smaller boat. Just be careful and pay attention to the weather/weather radar.

In addition these is a point near the garrison landing, and there were still fish on the first break along the north shore last weekend.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Liberty beach is a good public access with deep water(30′) real close and plenty of humps and reefs within 2 miles.

sticker

Here is a screen shot of the area from Navionics.

Attachments:
    1. ML.jpg

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

You don’t have to go far if you don’t want. I did good trolling jointed shad raps last weekend on reefs near shore in 9-12 ft of water. Caught a good mix of walleye and smallmouth. I’d suggest putting in at either garrison landing and going to either garrison reef or myrmar reef.

Mike J
    Wright County

I have a smaller boat also, and I normally use the Cove Bay launch. Plenty of walleyes, pike, and smallies in the bay and just outside of it all summer. I like to use a bottom bouncer with spinner. White twister tail or plastic minnow on the hook. Catches a variety of fish and no buying live bait.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

LOL, back in the 70’s we had a 14′ aluminum boat my Dad bought at Holiday on Lyndale ave in Bloomington with a 6 horse envinrude and would go just about anywhere out on the pond. However, we were young and drank alot of Old Milwaukee back then.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

There are so many options, you will get a variety of opinions. Some good advice has been given so far.

tim hurley

Wow what a great response you guys rock-anyone use a slow death rig out there? Like that you can set the hook right away with those rigs(I’m a bass guy at heart) I would use a 3 way, so how much line out from the 3 way? Thought i heard 6′ on the spinner rigs because of the clear water-thanks

Kyhl
    Savage

I think the more important question to ask is where is the wind coming from on the day you want to fish. This can make a huge difference on this lake. I fish there every weekend and even though my boat is big enough, I pay close attention to the wind. My favorite site to check is : IWindsurf. Its not always right but I find it helpful.

There are actually quite a number of flats reasonably close to shore on the north end, as well as a couple of nice reefs. If you have a wind out of the north these should be quite accessible with even a smaller boat. Just be careful and pay attention to the weather/weather radar.

In addition these is a point near the garrison landing, and there were still fish on the first break along the north shore last weekend.

This.
    More than any other lake I’ve been on, you fish ML where the wind will allow. If you don’t want to travel much by boat, then plan to trailer to another launch that will protect you from wind.

Before going out I look at how the wind is affecting the lake to determine the plan for the day. Planning any earlier is often futile.

tim hurley

Hope I did’nt give you guys the impression that I have a seahorse on a rowboat-I have a 16′ G3 with a 50 Yami Not big by ML standards but not small either.
    So today for instance I would be fine on any part of the lake-some days maybe not.
    Thanks

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looking like one of those weekends where a guy is going to be wishing for some wind! Calm and stinking hot.

-J.

sticker

Looking like one of those weekends where a guy is going to be wishing for some wind! Calm and stinking hot.

-J.

Mix in a nice bug hatch that I see on the cams right now and I am actually not pissed I am skipping the lake this weekend.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.