Sriracha Heads Up

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The Target on Suburban ave in St Paul has a very nice supply of sriracha on the shelf! The real stuff! Have not seen any at a retail store since clovid.

-J.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have also noticed that. Weird. Got a bottle a few days ago. Maybe its the new toilet paper hoarding??

Reef W

I have also noticed that. Weird. Got a bottle a few days ago. Maybe its the new toilet paper hoarding??

Huy Fong has said pepper shortage since about 2020. I think 2017 (or 2016?) was last year they used Underwood Ranches as their only supplier. Underwood makes their own now and the “premium” version is closest to the old Huy Fong I think.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The facility that makes it got shut down for a long time due to covid. Took awhile to get production up and running. The process start to finish takes a long time.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The real Huy Fong!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1879-scaled.jpeg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I bought some of the off brand stuff, it was terrible. Glad the real deal is showing up again.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I bought some of the off brand stuff, it was terrible. Glad the real deal is showing up again.

x2.

hah Hope there is not a “Pink Stanley Cup” run on them.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I believe it was a Tic-Tok influencer that caused all the hoopla. Anything pink is gold after the Barbie movie.

-J.

JEREMY
    BP

My 7 year old daughter asked for one last night. Told her to pick from the cupboard full of yetis and rtics.

Gregg Gunter

I thought pink Stanley Cup was something to do with hockey haha

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

my understanding is this wasnt due to covid but was due to a dispute between the maker of sirachi and the pepper distributer. i think that dispute has recently been resolved or has been improved

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, started with covid. Then the lawsuit with the chili supplier. Now it’s drought causing more shortages.

Time to hoard me some Sriracha! (Just kidding)

-J.

iowa_josh

Even the stocked hot sauce brands at walmart have changed. I haven’t found my favorite one for a long time.

Justin riegel

The Target on Suburban ave in St Paul has a very nice supply of sriracha on the shelf! The real stuff! Have not seen any at a retail store since clovid.

-J.

I was going to downtown st. paul to the asian grocery stores to still get mine. The local grocery store now has had it in stock for a couple months so i picked up 6 just in case.

ThunderLund78

Wasn’t the California town that they make it in all mad about the noxious fumes from all the fermenting peppers as well? I seem to remember that being part of it… I found a knock-off brand that was pretty close to the original but I’ll go back to the OG if it’s back.

Justin riegel

Wasn’t the California town that they make it in all mad about the noxious fumes from all the fermenting peppers as well? I seem to remember that being part of it… I found a knock-off brand that was pretty close to the original but I’ll go back to the OG if it’s back.

There are alot of rumors as to why there has been shortage. One I have heard was the pepper supplier was selling the pepper’s to a wholesaler cheaper then Huy Fong was getting direct so Huy Fong tried to buy them from the distributor and pissed off the pepper grower so they cut them off for bit.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interesting how this situation with Sriracha inspires all kinds of myths, urban legends, and half-truths.

Wasn’t the California town that they make it in all mad about the noxious fumes from all the fermenting peppers as well?

It’s true that the City of Irwindale filed a nuisance suit against Huy Fong Foods because of complaints made by citizens regarding the smell of peppers from the facility. However… There were many attempts to politicize this and to blame this action for the shortage. In reality, the nuisance suit was filed back in 2014 and it was dropped that same year after Huy Fong reinstated procedures that had long been in place to minimize the smell. The whole thing was all over long before the shortage.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks Jon. Target in Woodbury is stocked. I just replaced the one in the fridge that is 3 or 4 years old! I bought it right when the last panic started and hadnt finished it yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.