Squish

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Driving around the roads of sherbourne county last night around 9-10pm, no less than 587 frogs meet their demise on my truck tires.

Why were they there? Where were they going if just traveling through?

It was rainy here and there. Steam was coming off the road here and there. I have my notions but would like the amphibious experts opinion for myself to gain more knowledge of these creatures.

RIP, Kermit.

404 ERROR
    MN

One for me…

And one for my homies…

Attachments:
    1. tmb_2330_480.jpg

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dang near hit a big snapping turtle in Eagan this morning. Its that time of year!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Dang near hit a big snapping turtle in Eagan this morning. Its that time of year!!!

yesterday i travelrd to sioux falls, seen 3 dead snappers on the shoulder of the road………….i dont get why people have to hit them. flame flame flame

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

yesterday i travelrd to sioux falls, seen 3 dead snappers on the shoulder of the road………….i dont get why people have to hit them. flame flame flame

Could it be because they cant get into Canada?

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

Stopped this morning to help a turtle across hwy 82 going to Lansing IA. Stopped for a second one but it was already partially crushed. Still alive but guts hanging out. Not sure how people hit them. Not paying attention? Really drunk? Maybe just bad drivers. A frog covered highway I can understand but turtles are probably the easiest critter to avoid.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Stopped this morning to help a turtle across hwy 82 going to Lansing IA. Stopped for a second one but it was already partially crushed. Still alive but guts hanging out. Not sure how people hit them. Not paying attention? Really drunk? Maybe just bad drivers. A frog covered highway I can understand but turtles are probably the easiest critter to avoid.

I believe they are hit on purpose. That’s why I usually stop too and help them.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Ma and I were on tour in the Wabasha area last Saturday and came home thru Sand Prairies south of Kellogg. We helped a Blandings Turtle get off the road. Neat turtles, very docile. We came across a couple of large snappers that met the their demise on Highway 61. I can’t imagine what hitting one of those critters would be like at highway speeds. Gotta be a lot like a reverse pothole.

We ended up returning home via Weaver to Elba and saw several large groups of Trumpeter Swans that have nested in the pools near Beaver this year. There must have been 30 of the large birds in one group. Sort of neat to have these guys in the back yard so to speak.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

Could it be because they cant get into Canada?

rotflol rotflol rotflol maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo

404 ERROR
    MN

I watched a massive snapper get hit on 190th in Farmington a couple weeks back. The car was most likely totaled, its front end was off the ground and the front bumper cover was destroyed. I don’t know if she was on her phone or spilled her coffee, but there was no car in front of her blocking the view and she absolutely smoked it… flame

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I see snappers quite a bit around 195th and Embers with the preserve ponds on both sides of the road. You get some pretty odd looks when you stop and hop out to help them across the road.

I saw a guy hit a Mallard on Embers (30 MPH) a couple weeks back. No excuse at all if you ask me. He was obviously not watching the road as the Mallard was slowly walking across the road. I told him what I thought of that move as we pulled in along side one another at Kwik Trip and he barked back that the duck shouldn’t walk across the road. Let’s just say my blood pressure was peaking. flame

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I watched a massive snapper get hit on 190th in Farmington a couple weeks back. The car was most likely totaled, its front end was off the ground and the front bumper cover was destroyed. I don’t know if she was on her phone or spilled her coffee, but there was no car in front of her blocking the view and she absolutely smoked it… flame

That’s the result I like to hear!

I helped a snapper that had been hit at least once. It didn’t appear to be worse for wear.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Man it makes me mad when people kill the poor turtles. Ever since I was a kid my dad would stop and have me or us help the turtle cross the road. Now when I do it these days my son (6) thinks I’m a hero. Makes it even more worth while

404 ERROR
    MN

I see snappers quite a bit around 195th and Embers with the preserve ponds on both sides of the road. You get some pretty odd looks when you stop and hop out to help them across the road.

Correction, it was 195th. Just east of Embers between the ponds. I saw a few small remnants this morning on the south side of the road.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Thought this was a cat related thread….oops carry on.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

That’s the result I like to hear!

I helped a snapper that had been hit at least once. It didn’t appear to be worse for wear.

shock doah tongue crazy coffee

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Some people must just zone out and drive down the road without paying attention to anything but the yellow line. I don’t understand how they can’t see some things or just don’t react to it. My son and I helped a big snapper a couple weeks ago over by Middle Creek Park in Farmington. They are on the move.

tswoboda

This should be common sense, but if you’re helping a turtle off a road make sure you move it to the side of the road that it was originally heading. Otherwise once you move the turtle it’ll spin right around and head back onto the road.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its egg laying time and those turtle will travel quite a distance to lay them sometimes. This can involve crossing roads. Unfortunately there are some people who get in behind the drivers wheel without a clue and don’t much give a rip about anything except getting to wherever they’re going.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

This Sucker ate my Sucker on Sunday and man was it heavy! laugh

Attachments:
    1. snapper.jpeg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When fishing a catfish tournament overnight, we caught seven softshells.

MNdrifter

Helped 2 snappers in one stop a couple weeks back.

Attachments:
    1. 7340EC7D-6A0D-465F-B598-B3E51AE20D89.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Hamm sounds like you witnessed the spring frog migration. I’ve seen the fall migration. Strange critters those frogs.

Around my hood, when folks stop for snappers in the road, often times it’s to toss them in the bed of the truck to bring home for supper.

I would to in a heartbeat, once it’s legal, which I believe is July 1.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Around my hood, when folks stop for snappers in the road, often times it’s to toss them in the bed of the truck to bring home for supper.

My brother tosses one into the trunk of his car once. He made a couple of stops and came out of the store to find that it ate through his seat. rotflol

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

My brother tosses one into the trunk of his car once. He made a couple of stops and came out of the store to find that it ate through his seat.

rotflol rotflol rotflol

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

HAte to say it but pretty sure when the turtles are hit it’s on purpose way more than on accident. Very annoying. When helping em across the road do you grab towards the back of the shell or on the middle of each side?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

When helping em across the road do you grab towards the back of the shell or on the middle of each side?

That would depend on the species of turtle. A person needs to use some care handling a snapper and a soft shell for that matter. Its amazing the length of neck these critters have, but generally a “hand on each side on the rear 1/3 of the shell” type of hold will be safe. Watch out for the claws too if the animal starts peddling on ya.

About every other year we’ll get a big one that comes up from the creek behind us and tear up some of Ma’s flower garden while laying eggs. Kinda hard to tell which has the worst temper when that happens, lol.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipbob_nick wrote:</div>
    When helping em across the road do you grab towards the back of the shell or on the middle of each side?

That would depend on the species of turtle. A person needs to use some care handling a snapper and a soft shell for that matter. Its amazing the length of neck these critters have, but generally a “hand on each side on the rear 1/3 of the shell” type of hold will be safe. Watch out for the claws too if the animal starts peddling on ya.

About every other year we’ll get a big one that comes up from the creek behind us and tear up some of Ma’s flower garden while laying eggs. Kinda hard to tell which has the worst temper when that happens, lol.

rotflol rotflol rotflol i usually grab them by the tail and hold them out a good arms length away from my body. biggest trick is getting them mad enough to get a good bite on something to wack the head off when cleaning one.

404 ERROR
    MN

HAte to say it but pretty sure when the turtles are hit it’s on purpose way more than on accident. Very annoying. When helping em across the road do you grab towards the back of the shell or on the middle of each side?

I was taught to grab a snapper in the rear, just above their back legs. You can pick up smaller ones that way or you can slowly drag the bigger ones. Never pick up any turtle by the tail, it could severely hurt them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When fishing a catfish tournament overnight, we caught seven softshells.

Cat fishing the st Croix we pick up quite a few soft shells as well

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.