Spring Woodcock

• Nick Altavilla

Woodcock, a bird dogs best friend! If you’ve been out in the TC metro area in the past few days you may have ran into these crazy little doodle birds! They are back and in full migration mode. Took Olive (small munsterlander) out to our favorite park and easily had 30+ bird contacts…it was insane to see the numbers of birds around.

I believe April 16th? Is the start of quiet hours in the woods and no off leash running, so keep that in mind.

Anyone else enjoying the return of the Doodles?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I believe April 16th? Is the start of quiet hours in the woods and no off leash running, so keep that in mind.

What are you referring to?

Nick Altavilla

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nick Altavilla wrote:</div>

What are you referring to?

Its due to nesting season, no off leash dog running so that nests aren’t disturbed.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Are you referring to state-managed lands (e.g. WMAs)? That’s the only regulation in regards to that that I’m aware of.

Nick Altavilla

Are you referring to state-managed lands (e.g. WMAs)? That’s the only regulation in regards to that that I’m aware of.

Here’s the verbiage in the Hunting Guide below. I run mine at a local park where we have pheasant and woodcock, so I wont be disturbing the pheasant so that there are more in late summer and through the winter to give us some action.

When can I train my dog on public land?

Dogs may not be trained on DNR administered lands from April 16th to July 14th.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s a good reminder because I totally forgot about that verbiage till you brought it up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.