Spring Bass Fishing SD

• Brian Wenzel

Looking to make a trip to somewhere around the Webster, South Dakota area in late April this year. Anyone have any tips or insight on where to stay around there and how the bass fishing is in the spring?

Michael Johnson

Lynn Lake Lodge, Sportsman’s cove, boomers outback are a few places to stay. It is also possible there could be ice on the lakes around Webster in April depending on the weather.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Michael Johnson listed some of the Better lodging options. I would not be to worried about ice still being on lakes in the Webster Area in late April, Although it is possible I guess.
    As far as lakes go, If its mostly SM you are after I’d fish Horseshoe, Roy, and Pickerel. I don’t know the current status of Reetz lake just South of Webster. If the access is open, I would make sure you fish that for sure. Cool lake with a fair amount of weedline, riprap, flooded timber, and old road beds to fish. Hell you can even fish the house or Barn if you want. Its been a few years since I was last out in the Webster area so some of this Info. may be a little dated. If your looking to just catch fish and have a great fight. Head over to Waubay lake and fish some White Bass. The bite can be crazy fast and the fight on lighter tackle is a blast. I’d troll rapala’s until you locate then and then just stop and cast for them. Sportmans Cove is a great place to stop and get local up to date Info. They do a good job of getting you pointed in the right direction.

tornadochaser

I don’t know the current status of Reetz lake just South of Webster. If the access is open, I would make sure you fish that for sure. Cool lake with a fair amount of weedline, riprap, flooded timber, and old road beds to fish. Hell you can even fish the house or Barn if you want.

Reetz is open to the public May 1- September 30th with special harvest regulations.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Webster area is a great early season destination for bass before the season opens here in MN. The tricky part is the weather.

Bass do not receive much pressure there compared to other species. I’ve only been there once over the years but I would not hesitate to go back, especially if we get an early spring. The drive is fairly easy too.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Reetz is open to the public May 1- September 30th with special harvest regulations.

That is good to hear. I know a few years ago there was a dispute between the DNR and the land Owner who gave them access to the lake, and it was closed to the General public. If I was planning a trip in late April and it was not to much of a issue to change it to after may 1st I would do so just so I could fish this lake. With all the special harvest restrictions they have had on the lake over the years its a great Big fish lake. In addition to the good Bass fishing there are some monster Walleye, Crappie, and Perch in the lake. On out last trip there we caught several Walleyes over 28″, Crappie over 14″ and perch over 13″. all on the same outing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.