Spirit Lake smallies

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Ice out was a few weeks ago,water temps were at 45 degrees when I left the water Wenesday afternoon.
    Had guide trips Tuesday/Wenesday and we found some active smallies.
    Going to try to post pics??

Ryan Hale

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Brozne Backs

Beuts!

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

Those are great!!…I might have to make a trip up sometime soon…I love them smallies… … any recommendations for a first timer to the lake?

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

A friend of mine caught 19 between 17-19 inches last friday too. last summer I hit a school that had 15 fish 19-22inches! I fish smallies there about 60 days a year and I’m still amazed at this lakes quallity.Hopefully catch and release will keep this outstanding fishery continue to flurish.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

SINCE THE LAKE IS FULL OF SPOTTAIL SHINERS.USE EMERALD SHINER COLORED 3″ GULP MINNOWS ON A 1/4 OZ JIGHEAD AND FISH ROCK.THE BIGGER FISH COME OFF DEEP ROCK. I HAVEN’T BEEN DOWN THERE YET THIS YEAR BUT I WOULD FISH 10 FT OR LESS ON THE ROCK. ON A CALM DAY YA SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE-UM, ALTHOUGH THERE AREN’T MANY CALM DAYS ON SPIRIT. REMEMBER TO CATCH AND RELEASE.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I got these fish at the 16′ mark.We did get a few shallow,but best action was deep for us.They slowed a bit since last week,but still good.
    Spirit Lake right now is one of the best lakes in the Mid-West.The perch were awesome all winter,the smallies are always good,and the walleye population is off the charts right now.There is also a good number of big ski’s left in Spirit.
    DNR netting was insane the last week.I went out with them last Friday night and oh my.
    Biggest fish this year were both out of SL.
    Big eye was 11.2#’s
    Big ski was 36#’s
    The crew I was with got a 30# ski,nice fish,plus a huge northern.I’ll post pic of them.
    Here is a bonus crappie we got Wenesday,what a hawg.

Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks for sharing the pics, Ryan! Beautiful fish!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.