Special rules or limitations for boats on great lakes

• Jim Garson

Are there any special rules for taking a boat out on the Great Lakes? Boat size limits radios ecttt.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Boats over 16’ need flares and vhf radio. Mn has this boating guide for Lake Superior, I highly recommend reading it. The dangers of the Great Lakes are much greater than you realize so I also recommend going above and beyond the minimum requirements. I highly highly recommend a vhf radio with DSC capability.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/lakesup_boatingguide.pdf

Edit: vhf radio isn’t required but it should be.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Be sure to study up on common sense too. More people get into trouble out on the big water just because they don’t think.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

All good info above. If you are near the Apostle Islands, study up on the net markers. I have seen a lot of them and am still underwhelmed with how they are marked and the location mapping. I also believe there is a rule about having a wire cuter out in Wi, but I can’t find it right now. Also have a real understanding of what 2-4 ft waves actually means, particularly in rolling vs chop. I find the NOAA marine wave forecast to be decent and check it religiously before launching. I have found that as long as you are picky and alert, one can be very comfortable out there.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

You also must have an audible distress horn or whistle. The main thing I think guys get pinched for is the covered battery terminal requirement.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Speaking of flares…

A couple years ago the CG approved this LED light to replace flares (that have an expiration date). I picked one up from Dean at Skeeter Boat Center. It floats as well and replaces all night time flares.

In the container is the distress flag that has been approved for daytime us by the CG for a very long time.

Two sets of flares pays for this.

Attachments:
    1. 17466988_LRG.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Make sure your flares do not have an expired date code on them.

A fire extinguisher is also required. See rules for specifics.

Regardless of requirements, you should ALWAYS have a compass AND a backup compass. You should also have a paper chart that is current. YES! Ever if you have some all singing/all dancing GPS unit. That thing’ll go belly up when you need it most.

Also, you have to have the gear AND know how to use it. I wonder how many doorknockers have sat there yelling “Breaker breaker 19 …” into their marine radio and wondering why nobody was answering. It ain’t a CB.

Learn how to:

1. Use your marine radio properly including posting lists of important channels where others can see them.

2. Set a course and navigate it using both a paper chart and a GPS. You CANNOT rely on visual landmark navigation on big water.

3. Have a rescue throw line and know how to get someone back in the boat in rough water.

4. Know how to find your GPS coordinate position on your electronics and to relay it. Learn how to change formats! This is VERY un-intuitive on smart phones, but in an emergency it is critical you be able to relay your position without calling tech support in India.

Finally, guys in nippy little walleye boats, be courteous! Do not zip across bows at unsafe distances. You’re going to be in confined harbors and around docks with much larger, less maneuverable boats. Make security radio calls when entering blind or narrow passages so ou don’t meet big boats in bad places. Communicate by radio with other skippers in confined areas so everyone knows what everyone else is doing.

Grouse

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Not in the law but a good idea is to make sure your bilge pump works and carry a spare. I bought a pump and added a hose and a power lead with alligator clamps. Figured I could run off trolling motor batteries if needed.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

BK those are sweet, but if inspected and the batteries are expired or it won’t turn on when tested it doesn’t count. By us they still suggest having the flares.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

All good info above. If you are near the Apostle Islands, study up on the net markers. I have seen a lot of them and am still underwhelmed with how they are marked and the location mapping. I also believe there is a rule about having a wire cuter out in Wi, but I can’t find it right now. Also have a real understanding of what 2-4 ft waves actually means, particularly in rolling vs chop. I find the NOAA marine wave forecast to be decent and check it religiously before launching. I have found that as long as you are picky and alert, one can be very comfortable out there.

X2!! When we go to Erie, it is checked religiously. The NOAA web site is pretty spot on as long as you’re not looking to far ahead. We’ve been caught in some nasty stuff after “hiding” behind the islands most the day. Go to make the 7 mile trek back and it takes hours.. Not good! Just be prepared and don’t push your limits.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That would be the same with flares would it not Mike?

If they won’t light or out of date they don’t count?

I know I quickly learned the first year to take the flares out it their packaging and get them into a plastic back. After they expired, I tried to light them. They didn’t.

** Ahhh…the CG would never “test” a flare! That could be an advantage although I think I would rather KNOW my signal works then to find out they are to wet to work when I needed them **

Expiration dates on batteries is new to me. I’ve seen “Best If Used By” (BIUB) date is past, they consider them expired?

When I had my guide boat inspected 2 years ago (as I do each year) they were the ones that told me about these. I was happy to see them at Skeeter Boat Center and last year when inspected a comment was made asking me how I like it. Sure beats the heck out of tracking down fresh flares every three years.

But if that’s what’s recommended up there…

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Common sense would state
    * check the batteries AND the device BEFORE hitting the water
    * carry extra batteries in the boat
    * change them each season just to be safe – use the ‘old’ batteries in a clock
    * never make assumptions

Your life is worth much more than the cost of a pack of batteries.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.