Follow up baits

• kdb

very nice (okay, really good!) article Kyle…excellent logical breakdown and explanation that not all ‘topwaters’ are the same, just like all vegetation ‘ain’t grass’…

follow up question (my soft plastic ‘throw-back’):

missed hits on Zoom HT’s or any of the ‘buzzfrogs’…do you find it more effective to change rods and toss a different bait? or do you occasionally toss the HT back, and ‘kill it’ in the ‘spot’?

how, when, why would you do this differently? Thoughts?

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Thanks Kurt.

In regards to your question…More often than not I find myself tossing the toad bait back into the spot to try to evoke a second strike. “killing” a toad is often effective, but my experience is that, they want the follow up bait for this type of presentation moving (for whatever reason). That’s why I like burning that little swim bait as a follow up bait. Obviously this isn’t a “cure all”, just generally what I do and what I’ve found effective. By all means…let the fish tell you what they want as it does/can change daily!

kdb

thanks Kyle…

lots of folks have discovered a ‘passion’ for fishing frogs and toads (frogs float, toads ‘buzz’ in my world)…

but those toads are so much more versatile…as trailers…as ‘kill’ baits… truly amazing…

I’m not a huge topwater freak like many bassers profess to be…but when it comes to frogs, I find it hard to put them down…

duckilr
    Mississippi River

With all of the grass this year (on the river) one would’ve thought the top water action, especially frogs, would have been phenomenal…but I had very few outings like that. That is the main reason that sparked the idea for the follow up baits article. I mainly used top water as a locater or search bait this season…and cleaned up with follow up baits.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

great article Kyle!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.