Suffix braid vs. Power pro

• dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I have been a power pro fan for a long time and have never had any problems with it. Lately I have been wanting to try the suffix 80 lbs for throwing frogs. What are the pros and cons of the suffix braid. Does it cast well and how durable is it. I know they both eventually bleed out and that isnt a problem for me. Just looking for a few opinions. Thank you, Dan

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I’ve tried both and prefer Power Pro. IMO it holds it’s shape better. Both are great lines though. My question is: why would you want to go to 80lb? I would assume you would lose quite a bit of casting distance over the 50lb or 65lb line and there ain’t no bass in MN that is going to break that as long as you retie every once in a while.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I use it a little differently for cats, but IMO Sufix is head and shoulders better than PP. Not only is rounder and more limp, it holds it’s colored dye a little better (HiVis), and I don’t have random break offs like I did with PP.

I did a bunch of tensile testing with some different braids, and Sufix was always on top for strength, however it didn’t get close to advertised strength of 80. More like 60-65. PP was even worse as it was in the 50 range.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dan, I’ve been a PowerPro guy for years too.

This last winter I changed over to Cortland Master Braid Hi Vis in the 80 pound test from a suggestion from Dean at Everts. I’ve been using it since April this spring and am very happy with it.

No line fade at this time.
    Casts further (I think because it’s more round(?))
    I find it easier to tie (personal preference)
    and
    it does’nt wear as fast where my 4 oz sinker slides up and down the line.

I’ve been working on a comparison to PP but haven’t had the time to finish it.

Just wanted to let you know Suffix isn’t your only choice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

..and it’s priced comparable to PP.

Now lookit! Cat guys in the bass forum…I’m outta here!

timmy

Quote:

I have been a power pro fan for a long time and have never had any problems with it.

If it isn’t broken………

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I just saw the 80lb at cabelas and was using it as a reference. I’ve always used 65 lb PP and have been happy with it but I’m the type of person to try differant things. I guess I’m kinda biased towards PP but it looked like the Suffix was a bit limper. I thought it may cast better. Like anything else there will be people who swear by there favorites. Before I drop $40 bucks for 300 yrds of suffix I wanted to get some facts. Thank you very much, Dan

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

wow, just wow

I thought the question was PP vs Sufix? Had it been Power Pro vs Master Braid, I would keep my nose out of the Bass forum since I’ve only used MB only twice. Feels like good stuff though, but since I have hundreds of hours put into each brand I figure I had some insight to offer.

Appologies to the original poster, I tried to give some real world opinions from real world tests and usage. Honest opinions.

By all means spool up some of that Master Braid and take home the trophy!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I’m a sufix guy all the way as dtro said it holds it’s shape and color longer than pp (power pro isn’t that round to begin with) the color dosent matter mutch but roundness is the most important thing in a braid ,if the line isn’t round it won’t spool as tight and you’ll get less distance on your casts.
    Take it from a guy that fishes every single day casting baits from 1oz all the way to 26oz sufix is the way to go (Cortland master braid is a close 2nd)

boods
    Lancaster, WI

Suffix didnt seem to spool up the best when I tried it. Stick with Power Pro Dano!

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

i’m just going to put in my 2 cents and say don’t get spiderwire stealth 80lb. i broke it on a weed and a 1lb northern and the line was less than a week old.

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Quote:

i’m just going to put in my 2 cents and say don’t get spiderwire stealth 80lb. i broke it on a weed and a 1lb northern and the line was less than a week old.

You’d be surprised wut a little northern like that can do

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

serious it was a dink. maybe 14 inches and i was fishing a mid sized bobbie jerkbait that was more boyant than the fish so the lil guy floated up to the surface. that stuff is junk!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hope you had a leader, otherwise I wouldn’t blame the line. Just checking.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I like the Power Pro but I can’t say that I have tried the Suffix braid or the MB. I have been using the PP on my heavy bass tackle and pike/muskie gear for about 4 years now.

Dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I thought the world ended with PowerPro. Many disagreements over it’s qualities compared to other braids and I was the first to stand up for it.

Next time you need to spool up give either Suffix or Cortlands Master Braid a shot. Then you be the judge.

PS I’ve had Pike shred 80 lbs braid like it was tinsel.

kdb

good thread…I can’t speak to the differences…only having switched to using braid in some applications about 3-4 years ago…and starting out of the gate wth suffix…

have thought about PP…but I just haven’t had any problems/issues with suffix…and now, I have history and confidence in it…

btw: don’t have toothy critters down here…and weeds aren’t ‘that’ tough…so I spool up with 30# and absolutely LAUNCH Spros and Horny Toads…

iceman35
    upstate New York

hey, I have 2 identical frog rods rigged with 50# braid, one the orange suffix and the other 50# PP. I wanted the hivis suffix to see better in the green stuff. works great. just went in the corner to check it… 2 weekends of fishing in the nastiest stuff around(water chestnuts) never had to retie. knots work real well too… the other rod gets ribbit duty with the PP. this works too…
    I’d say get what easily available and try them both.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I’ve used many braids but only PP and Stren as of late. I think they are comparable, I think I like Stren a little better. I’m going to try the suffix next. I still haven’t found the perfect braid, probably never will.

BTW, a pike’s teeth don’t get any duller with (smaller)size. It wasn’t the braid’s fault, I would reconsider.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

i have always used 50 lb spiderwire stealth for flats and never had a problem with it snapping even with the large ones in heavy cover so im wondering why some of you cat guys never use it? am i using something inferior and dont know it?

kdb

Quote:

am i using something inferior and dont know it?

there’s a lot of ‘fun’ in discussing favorite brands…a bit of entertainment value in the old ‘mine is better than yours’ routine…

seems to me that you have a tool (stealth) that has always worked for you… I’m not sure that this in any way could be described as ‘inferior’

I’ve long been of the opinion that different folks use different products ‘differently’…and what works best for one…might not work best for another….

As always, the proof is in the results…

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I think Suffix is way better than Power Pro. Better handling, more shock resistant.

I like Stren Super Braid alot as well.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

If anything else.
    Sufix Braid has 8 strands weavced in the 50 and 65 lbs. 9 strands weaved in the 80 lbs. PP has 4 strands weaved. Maybe it’s changed up to 6 strands now, but I can’t confirm that since I’ve been satisfied with it Sufix Braid.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.