Removing Fish From Your Livewell

• davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

OK, I’m getting better, but how in the heck can the top pros on TV just reach into their box at pull out a 2 pounder in 2 seconds???!!!

At each weigh-in I’ll pump out half my water and shut off my recirc pumps so it makes it easier to see and grab them, but they can still be a pain. It seems to help if I reach into the box sloooowly. I also try to grab the smaller fish by their head and not try to lip them. Finally, I typically have my smaller fish tagged with a cull float…but not always.

Anyone have this figured out???

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Man can that be a pain in the ..The only thing I figure is the pros have enough money that they hire a keebler elf, put him in scuba gear, and he hands em the fish when they are ready. Summer is off season for cookies and many of the elfs are lookin for work….For me its always the last fish…I can never get em out…good luck…Jay

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Try a “livewell net”? They sell’em!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I think I would chuckle at someone if they were using a net.

Makes sense though. I just don’t think there is enough room to get a net in there and scoop out those fish.

I guess what I’m wondering is how to get them out by hand when I’m fishing a tournament down south and need to quickly cull a 2 pounder. I see some dudes just reach in and pull out the one they want instantly. I can almost do it…but not quite. I’m missing the secret I think…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Nort, don’t be such a wuss about it reach in there and show who’s boss!!!! Or use a livewell net like me I got tired of getting spined so I spent 10 bucks on a tiny little trout net and use it everytime I yank fish out of the well. They work great ESPECIALLY for smallies!

zombywuff
    Illinois

Chuckle all you want, my boater at Winne last year had a net, and it worked great! I know what you mean about the pros snatching their big fish out to show the crowd. My thought has always been, that they use both livewells and put the biggest fish in one well before the weigh-in, so they aren’t fumbling around on TV!

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Nort,

I always grab them from the back like a pike. It dosent take alot of pressure and it seems to not beat you or the fish up. This works almost all the time with the exception of that occational 14-15″ smallie.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Maybe if your eyes weren’t blinded by that big yellow boat…

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

their fish aren’t mississippi River fish………

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Nort,

no comment

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You can laugh at me as well, I have and use a livewell net. Sure makes it a heck of a lot easier and quicker than chasing the fish round and round in the livewell. Gander sells them for under $20. Largemouth aren’t too bad, it is the smallies that I hate to grab. I swear I lose a pint of blood everytime I have to reach in and wrestle those sharp finned buggers

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I always try to head off trouble before it happens. In a tournament situation, it just seems like a bad idea to scoop a net under a limit of fish. I can just picture one of them jumping out of the livewell into the water. Unlikely…yes. Possible…YES.

I am EXTREMELY cautious when it comes to my fish in the livewell. You can ask any non-boater who has fished with me in a BFL and they will say the first thing I tell them in the morning is to NEVER touch my livewell lid (and in exchange…I will never open theirs). I feel this is a way to avoid more trouble. Plus, I’d probably get sick if I opened my non-boaters lid and a fish jumped out. Overly cautious and anal…probably. Not having to worry about losing a fish b/c my no-boat opened my lid…OF COURSE.

Jhall- I like your technique. I’m going to give that a shot this weekend. I don’t think I’ve ever grabbed the back of them before. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.