Hook Sizes…How Large is TOO Large?

• BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I have been experimenting with my hook sizes as of lately and began using a 5/0 Wide Gap hook on a 4″ tube. The hook comes through the tails and lies across the back perfectly. I don’t see or notice any disadvantages of rigging tubes (and other soft plastic baits) with hooks that are larger than what the “textbook” tells you.

Anyone care to comment??

-Dusty

SLee
    Crystal,MN

The disadvantages are that the larger hook catches more weeds and it is harder to bury the barb into the fish.

But…there are always trade-offs.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Using a large bite hook will increase you hook up but will be much harder on the smaller fish you catch.I find you get many more hooks in the eyes of smaller bass and I really hate that.A 5/0 hook will do this alot. I only use them for 10″ worms or big brushhogs to help eliminate smaller biters. I like to use 3-4/0 hooks in tubes mostly 3’s.

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

whatever you think works will work for you, but if you are second guessing yourself, use a 4/0 hook and if you don’t like that, go bacl, i use a 3/0 hook for 4 inch tubes, so whatever you prefer stick with it, always good fishing, and go get ’em

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Just about all my plastic rigging for largemouth is using a 4/0 hook. I do not feel a bigger hook is required for bass in our neck of the woods..
    for Smallies, I’ll use a 2/0 with small 4″ stick worms, and 3/0 for the 5 inchers.
    Jack..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.