Fishing Deepweedlines

• BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I live in SE Wisconsin and deep weedlines on metro lakes is a productive technique this time of year forth but the problem is many of these lakes have an abundance of Norherns. Today in about 5 hours, I got 6 bite offs on a texas rigged worm. I tried some other baits that I usually use on weedlines such as cranks, spinnerbaits, rattle traps, etc. but the weedline is very erratic and makes it hard to fish those baits as efficently as I could a worm.

The question I have is are there any replacements for a plastic worm that won’t result in as many bite offs? In my experience jigs, craws, etc. all attract Northerns just as much. Anyone have any insite?

Thanks,

Dusty Smith

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If there’s that many Pike in that area, I’d suggest moving and trying a different area. A LM Bass makes a great meal for those toothy critters. Those Pike may have them run out of that section.

I can’t think of anything to try that would provoke just Bass to bite. Pike are indiscriminate eaters. They like everything. Especially Lucky Craft products…

One thing I did think of, is a Carolina Rig. A lizard pulled across the bottom may work.

Good luck!!

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

In my experience, Pike and Bass will mix right in with each other, at least on most lakes. I would agree that Pike and Bass don’t mix very often on the Mississippi (including pool 7 ).

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Basshog
    I grew up fishing all those lakes 30 yrs ago and had the same trouble then
    the only thing I found that worked was to get some light (8-10 lb) 7-strand Seastrand bronze color wire and make texas rigs with a 14in leader of wire with the weight on the wire and the smallest swivel you can find on the end
    use a haywire twist for the knot it works great !
    also fish the inside weed line the bass are there and it’s too warm for the pike
    good luck

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

When I was in the boundary waters we used Tyger line if the water isnt too clear, its wire material you can tie normal knots in. Or try some power pro, sometimes it is a little more resistant to northern bite offs.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I get em good on the inside weedlies in the morning/evening

I’ve used PowerPro but haven’t tried the wire but because of the Zebras, the lake is now 10 ft visibility so I prefer Flourocarbon.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

What# floro are you using? We catch a ton of Big pike up this way and don’t seam to get many bite offs. I’m running 18# seaguar.

brunn
    Andover, MN

Generally, bass and pike that are about the same size will occupy the same area. If you’re catching too many pike, slow your retrieve. Pike tend to chase faster moving baits.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I am using 20-25 lb Seagaur and they bite through it like it is 2 lb mono . I lost 8 lures yesterday in 4 hours

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Get yourself some Tyger Line, and a couple cheap Bass lures. Hook into those Pike and have a fish fry. In no time, you’ll be able to catch those Bass.

Northern are great eating. It’s a win/win situation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.