Bass Fishing !

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

After as long cold winter on Pool 2 it was a real pleasure to return to my “home waters” for the Bass opener. Lake DeMontreville, Flyrod in hand, fish Bass. Wow. Water temp is 65 degrees and the weeds are way up. Water clarity is very high, probably 6 or 8 feet. They obviously haven’t dumped herbicide in the lake yet.

The Bass weren’t really active. We saw them swimming slowly around the in shallows and had some of them hit top water flies. My best bug was a white and yellow Dahlberg Diver. Interestingly they wouldn’t hit it if you were moving it. All of the fish I caught hit the bug after it was sitting still on the surface for at least 30 seconds. This is an effective technique that’s tough on the nerves.

One last point…..when you get home and unhook the boat off the trailer hitch, make sure the tongue jack is really snapped into place! Mine wasn’t and let the tongue hit the ground. Fortunately I was able to break it’s fall with my right shin bone, which now resembles hamburger. Owie!

Rootski

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Rootski I was having good luck with a prince nymph going for panfish I landed 6 bass in 30 minutes….not much size but my 4 weight was taking some punishment. How was the boat traffic out there? I was out last Thurday and it was really busy even at 2 pm

Happy fishing

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hey O4L!

I was surprised to be the first one there this morning. By the time we left the lot was pretty much full so it did get busy. Almost everyone was respecting the speed limit so the lake was quiet in spite of all the boats.

Sounds like fun with your 4 weight! I was using an 8 weight. The first fish I caught this morning was a very nice Crappie that was about 12 inches long. I didn’t think there were many crappies like that left in that lake. We also caught a few pumkinseeds but they were pretty small.

Hope to see you out there sometime!

Rootski

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.