Where would you go?

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If you had the chance to pack up your gear at this very moment and head for a body of water to fish Bass, where would you go?

I’d pack up the shop and head to Mille Lacs. I really love it up there. Giant Smallmouth Bass, an abundance of huge Muskies and those Sumo Rock Bass. Oh yeah…..and those Walleyes….

Not only that, there’s plenty of lakes within driving distance that would cure my itch to fish Largemouth Bass. That’s not to say there’s no LM Bass on Mille Lacs. I know there are, James won’t let me fish for them when we are up there.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Chequamegon Bay
    Never been there, and all I hear is great things. Big smallies and lots of them. I am looking forward to getting there. I leave in 6 days
    Mille Lacs is my second choice but seeing how I can get there in an hour and ten minutes and I get there almost every week.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

That’s not to say there’s no LM Bass on Mille Lacs. I know there are, James won’t let me fish for them when we are up there.

I do what I can to keep you on the straight and narrow path, buddy. There might be greenies in that lake but, with all those monster smallies, who cares?!

jesse
    mn

No need to go very far at all. Zumbro River from Mantorville (Dodge Co) to Oxbow Park in Olmsted County! It was rated in the top 10 smallmouth bass fisheries in Mn. I don’t think anyone ever heard about that though, as I have seen very few people fishing for them. Except a few who know how good it can be!

Hope to have a report up soon, jon boat is in getting repairs so it will actually float without accumulating water, can’t wait

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’d go to your place Tom…

Just like I’m going to do on Friday

fredbart
    St. Paul

I would add to the list Quetico Park, in particular the larger rivers flowages around Kawnippie Lake. Absolutly amazing fun to fish these current areas with surface lures.

Closed to home in the Balsam Lake wisconsin area their are many “smaller” lakes that dont get as heavy tournament fishing. Nothing again them, but as I have a smaller boat its nice to not have to compete with better anglers! Even on week-ends many of these lakes are still relatively uncrowded offering some nice fishing as well as quiet.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Mille Lacs is definately hard to beat IMO, but I will take the upper Miss anyday of the week. The combonation of some dandy smallies and the peacefulness of not seeing another boat for days. Seems like I can duck out of just about any wind up that way and still fish…..The only drawback is those naive uneducated muskies!

BomberA

I’ve always wanted to go out to Champlian. That place looks amazing and you can fish just about any style you want for brown or green fish.

If I had to get there today though I would either head down to pool 4 if the water starts to rise from this rain and start huckin a buzzbait around or else head up to Red Cedar, that place is loaded with fat smallies right now.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i guess if I had to get there today, I would explore the pond, if i had a few days to get there, okachobee in florida is one of my top lakes, also devils lake is up there as well.

shane

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’d like to fish Erie for smallies sometime. I’d love to go down to Lake Fork, TX and chase greenies when the 12-pounders are poppin’ lipless cranks like a fat kid after another cupcake. It’s on my short list of places to go rather than Iowa in winter.

Around these parts, it’s tough to beat Mille Lacs Smallies, especially when you’ve got a couple good buddies sharing the boat with ya.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

like a fat kid after another cupcake.

Wait… uh…

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Chequamegon Bay
    Never been there, and all I hear is great things. Big smallies and lots of them. I am looking forward to getting there. I leave in 6 days
    Mille Lacs is my second choice but seeing how I can get there in an hour and ten minutes and I get there almost every week.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I have always wanted to go out there sometime. I hear reports of true football proportioned smallies and lots of them.

Someday………
    When is the best bite to go out there?

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

Wade, Skeeter has an owners tournament every year on Lake Fork. Maybe next year if you are up for it. It’s typically early June. Lot’s of prizes and money given away.

Jason

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I have always wanted to go out there sometime. I hear reports of true football proportioned smallies and lots of them.
    When is the best bite to go out there?

From what I hear, mid-May through early June. I will let you know in a week

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Chequamagon Bay for sure,
    Ron’s and my trip this week confirmed it Again…

Jack..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.