BASS Icon Rick Clunn speaks out!

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s a link to and interesting article Bassfan.com conducted with BASS Icon Rick Clunn. He had some very pointed comments about the current product produced by ESPN and the direction it’s heading.

Here’s a quote from the article:

Quote:

Fishing’s the last vehicle remaining for the masses to stay sane.

Back in the old days, my dad and everybody talked about going fishing – how if they “don’t get away this weekend, they’re going to go crazy.” That wasn’t a cliché, that was a fact. Fishing’s the last vehicle for the masses to get away from rush-hour city traffic and all that.

Why do cities grow outward? Because people fight to get to the edges. The insanity is to the middle. The closer you are to the middle, the more insane you become. And if there’s no way to escape, we’re all going to go insane.

What I’m getting at is, let’s get people in there who can sell fishing from a different perspective than how they’re trying to sell it right now.

There’s great opportunity with the Internet that we’ve never had before, for example. I think the people at JM (Associates), and your people (at BassFan) recognize that power, but we’re still fighting the old school that wants to keep that ratings system sacred.

And with the Majors, (if they’re going away) here we go getting rid of a great model, instead of getting rid of rotten salespeople.

Bassfan Q & A with Rick Clunn Part 1

Bassfan Q & A with Rick Clunn Part 2

ryanjohnson

From the article that is linked to–
    He should have just said, “I used to do really good, doesn’t that count for anything now?”

Maybe if he used his Jedi force, he might catch more fish than all those donkeys and flukes.

I never had a problem with Clunn before, but he sure sounds like an old broken down quarterback that’s still trying to run with the hotshot rookies.

Bullet21XD

Before you call Rick Clunn washed up…let’s compare your stats to his!

Although…it does sound like he is looking to make it so the long time vets who may be struggling have guaranteed entry to the bigger money-less competition venues…or at least make it easier to get in. he is challenging the integrity of the ESPN leadership, and I think he is right to do so…how many times do they need to make rule changes? Change formats? Change Qualifications? Etc.

He brings up many valid points. I’ve been a longtime Bassmasters fan up until the last few years…since ESPN got a hold of it.

For one, the tournament telecasts are barely watchable these days…unless you have absolutely no clue about bass fishing in general.

Second, and most importantly…they’re trading talent for flambouyancy. Not trying to sell most of them short, but if they went back to their old qualification systems from 10-15 years ago…most of these guys on the Elite Series wouldn’t even be there. All you need today is financial backing and you’re in. And if you want to be successful…you basically gotta have some peronality trait the cameras are looking for, with being able to win a distant second. I mean c’mon…the rare occasion I watch on a Saturday morning…all I se is Gerald Swindle this…and Gerald Swindle that…he gets more “spotlight” than anyone out there…

Has he even won a tournament???

I wish the Bassmasters would go back to fishing. Nowadays…the Classic seems pretty insignificant. For most of us…we can only see it on TV…and maybe it’s just me, but I can’t watch it anymore. Too much CRAP! Seriously…go back to televising guys on the water catching bass…not acting the fool on the front deck of their boats. I don’t want to see guys screaming at the top of their lungs when they lose a fish…I want to see a jig come flying out of the water…followed by a couple of BLEEPS…and then another cast, not some guy sitting down, crying, contemplating the ifs!!

Time to head out!!!

Good Luck this weeknd.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.