Favorite presentation

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

If you could throw only one OR two bass catching presentations what would they be?

My favorite is Topwater by far. Buzzbaits, poppers, and frogs. Just the thought of a huge explosion with the water flying everywhere really get my heart racing.

My second would be sight fishing plastics. Watching and waiting for the gills to flare and losing sight of my bait.
    I live for that sight.

So what gets your blood pumping?
    Ron

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

If I only had one to choose from it would have to be a tube jig..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Chuggers.

Anytime is the right time. Spring, summer or fall.

My least favorite? Senkos. They’re damned effective and I fish them when I need to but to fish them right a guy basically needs to be brain-dead patient. And I’d rather be fishing a chug bug… lol

shane huskey
    holmen wi

I would have to agree that top water is the most dramatic and exciting way to catch bass. It doesnt matter what your top water trick is. It is exciting to see a bruiser break through to our world to get a bite at something.
    My next favorite is running jigs on the rocks or bottom. That first bump that may or may not be a fish. The tention in the air and on the line when you set the hook and the fight in a fairly clear area as he makes his run for cover or current.
    Yep, i need to go fishing. See ya on the water tomorrow.

basshundter
    La Crosse, WI

I have to agree with you guys. I love throwing top water whene they are working. I also have recently become very fond of swim jigs. I love the versitility, and all the different ways you can fish them.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Probably my best suit and what I fish (guide) for the most… I dearly love topwater…Zaras, Chugs, Torpedos…but day in day out…tubes will out produce them.
    The Senko thing is also maddening to me James! Chris Beeksma is the absolute master of the Senko…they fish waaaaay slow!!! but they hammer the bass!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am with the majority here so far….top water
    My second seems to change yearly. It used to be the spinnerbait, then it went to the swim jig, but now it is clearly pitching jigs. Since I started concentrating on pitching, I have increased my weights incredibly.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

I like pitching creatures or tubes, especially on rocks. I love feeling the fish pick up the lure and then setting the hook.

CR

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

….And I’d rather be fishing a chug bug… lol

I’d rather fish a Mepps.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Bucktail jigs for smallies.
    Tube jigs for smallies/largemouth.

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

mine is flippin a plastic or a jig, i love the tick, tick boom, got one feeling . my second would probably any type of topwater, you have to be nuts not to love a topwater strike .

jhwisc
    Verona, WI.

First would be slowly swimming a grub on a darter head over the rocks on a weed edge for smallies…Second would be similar with a tube or a 4″ finesse worm on a shakey jighead.

John

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Topwaters and tubes! It’s tough to beat cranks when they’re slamming the bait so hard the rod about comes out of your hand though…

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

MY FAVORITE WOULD BE TWICHING A HUSKY JERK TYPE SUSPENDING BAITS REAL SLOW IN 20FT. OF WATER FOR SMALLIES AND WATCHING 10-20 SMALLIES RISE ON YOUR BAIT. IT ABOUT DRIVES ME CRAZY WAITING FOR ONE TO LUNGE OUT AND STRIKE IT.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Drop shot and flipping milfoil for me.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Swimming a jig and flipping a jig in the wood

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

My favorite is rubber frog in mats/pads using heavy gear. Big fish in those weeds is awesome.
    Jack..

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I would say a popper on a fly rod for smallies in small streams

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Topwater with a flyrod…a Dahlberg Diver right at first light….Ka-Booosh! It won’t be long now.

Rootski

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Topwater with a flyrod…Ka-Booosh!

You mean like this one Steve

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That’s a great memory, Pal I seem to remember 20 inches of Bass with your frog stuck in the corner of his mouth too.

We need to do that again, OK? My treat!

Rootski

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Deep cranks over rock!!!! WHACK!!!!!!!!!!

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

The Chuck Woolery Moto-Lure!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Actually for me, NOTHING beats a top water frog in the slop for an absolute adrenaline rush. For a higher number of quality fish, the ZOOM Brush Hawg does the trick.

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

Deep cranking on offshore cover and structure and shaky head fishing.

Jason

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not to change the flavor of this thread… my LEAST favorite way to catch smallies has got to be casting mepps spinners on mille lacs. It works and it drives me NUTZ! I hate it. I get more and more mad with every fish.

Blue and I are going “mepps free” in 2007.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I hear you, it does work though. I have yet to throw one while on the pond.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.