Who likes arky jigs?

• kris_brantner
    My river

Thinking about adding these to the line up but not sure how many people like this style head anymore. What do ya guys think? Here is one in my green pumpkin color. Opinions good and bad appreciated

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Good looking jigs. I’m not a fan of the standard round bend hooks in flipping or swim jigs. I’ll take a jig with a Gamakatsu EWG over that any day of the week. much better hook sets with the gama hooks

BBKK
    IA

I do.

I like the “flippin'” hook from mustad in that mold, its super thick and razor sharp. A buddy of mine poured me some and they are great.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Thats an oldie but a goodie in my book and responsible for putting countless bass in the boat when paired with a no. 11 pork frog. Randy’s point on a different style hook is valid – however trimming and fanning the weedguard improves hooksets exponentially. Used to pound ’em on black & blue & was my go to bait for big bass back in those days.

kris_brantner
    My river

Thanks. This is funny because when I started selling jigs I offered almost all my jigs with an ewg hook amd everyone said they prefered the round bend. I can make them im both but I like the ewg myself. I have a bag of 4/0 ewg gamis that fit the arky mold but thet are like a 2/0 hook im any other brand. Not sure why they run so small…

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

It looks like a good jig. The weedguard looks to be coming out of the head at too high of an angle, I think it should be lowered so that it sits closer to the hookpoint. Just my opinion. The arkie head skips very good and has stood the test of time. I can’t tell from the pic but a hand tied skirt is a plus because then it won’t fall off the collar when skipped hard and often under docks and laydowns. Not to change the subject but can you make a good chatterbait???

kris_brantner
    My river

Not for you Marty… anyone else I can…haha. I agree on the weedguard. Im just borrowing the mold to pour a few to try. Can always modify the mold or drill the head out after pouring to get a different angle. I havent messed with em much. Yes all my jigs are hand tied…

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Quote:

It looks like a good jig. The weedguard looks to be coming out of the head at too high of an angle, I think it should be lowered so that it sits closer to the hookpoint. Just my opinion.

X2. Looks good otherwise.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I have a friend who makes spinnerbaits and started doing jigs last year. The first pic was his first model which he called a finesse jig. This year he has come out with a model similar to yours (second pic). More of an all around jig especially with the in-line tie. I like pitching 1/4 and 1/2 oz sizes and swimming a 1/4 oz

kris_brantner
    My river

Heres another try. Modified the weedguard a bit so it wasnt so straight up and down. This one is a 1/4oz with a 4/0 mustad. Top pic was a 1/2 Oz with a 5/0

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Nice pour! IMO keep the weed guard long. Let the owner trim it if they want to. I generally trim mine to just above the weed guard.

zeke6710
    NULL

Personally, I would snip off about a third of the weed guards.

kris_brantner
    My river

As do I on my own jigs. I will let the customer determine to theirs

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

An Arky is very effective “all round” jig in certain conditions…As a Jig fisherman I need a few different styles for different conditions…
    for wood/lay downs Nu Tech (totally snagproof)
    hard bottom…deep flats…football
    shallow to med weedlines…swimmers
    rocks…swing jigs

kris_brantner
    My river

Haha what is a brantner bass outing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.