And then we headed fer da hospital !

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

My better half and I were looking for new lake to do a bit of bass fishing. We went to Lake Cornelia to have a look.
    After looking around I decided to try out my new rod and cast a crank a bit.
    About the second cast I hooked a nice bass, not a whopper but maybe 3 pounds or so.
    Not having a net a young man fishing there asked if I needed help in getting this fish in the rocky shore.
    Long story short, the young man got it, held it up for me, and that is when things went to h*** in a hand basket as the saying goes.
    The lure in the fish’s mouth was floater-diver Rapala, the fish made some wiggles and I wound up with one hook of the back treble buried in my idex finger.
    There I was wearing the lure attached to my finger with the fish still firmly hooked YET.
    This young man got his grandpa to help, and then another gentleman pitched in and to a pair or side cutters to cut the hook loose from the lure.
    Before all this try as I might, I could not pull out the hook or push it thru, it was really buried in my finger.
    Long story short, it was off to the hospital with part of the hook sticking out.
    After a couple of shots of deadner the dock pulled the hook out and showed it to me.
    The fish was released back in the lake, and I learned not to try to grab a bass by the lower jaw with the lure still stuck in it’s face.
    It was a nice fish, fun to catch the fighter, but the fun was short lived when I found myself wearing the Rapala on my nose picking finger.
    It was educational, but made me feel kinda dumb after it was all said and done.

Thanks for reading my tale of woe.

Iowa Roger aka The Iowa Farm Boy

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Rog, you need to look up the YouTube videos on how to take hooks out of fingers. Painless and effective not to mention much less time consuming as going to the doc.

PS I did the same thing with a bass. Reaching down for the lip and notice the look in it’s eye. It said I’m going to jump. Heck of a feeling having a hook impaired in your finger and the bass hanging from the other treble.

I make a person appear to be fishing for them.

bigpike

Sorry about your trip to the hospital, I keep a hook removal kit on my boat at all times. The only time I had a issue was up in Canada, Lake Nipigon, 20 miles out. A large rapala treble hook inbedded in my hand. The problem was the hook wrapped around my tendon. Every move of my hand I felt the tendon scapping the hook. As shear luck would have it and barbless hooks I managed to move the hook around enough to unhook the tendon and pop the lure back out of my hand. Very scary potentially losing 1 day fishing in Canada…..

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I got a treble hook from a reef hawg in my finger, the lure had a 45″ muskie on it shaking around. Got the hook cut and fish back, went back to the resort where my buddies and resort owner took turns yanking on it. The adreniline from the catch(my pb at that time) wore off and it started hurting pretty bad. Went to a doctor in Pine River. The doc was quite the character and had a whole wall of lires and hooks he removed over the years, He even wrote poems about alot of them. He had a pic of a guy that had a large bucktail in his forehead from the backswing of his partner. I’ll never forget some of the photos I saw, crazy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.