Use snap swivel for game fish lures to line or???

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I am wondering what most use a palomar or blood knot to tie directly to line or leader or use a snap to make a bit faster change of presentation of lure ?

Tight lines,

Roger

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I used to tie it but found that I wasn’t trying different colors enough out of laziness I suppose. Now I use a snap swivel. If you know the fish are going on a certain color but the bite has slowed then I’ll go back to the knot.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

No snap swivel. That’s what having 7 rods in your boat is for

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

I use an open loop knot or a snap (not a snap swivel) to get maximum action from cranks. Tying direct with a palomar really restricts the action too as does using too heavy of line. Try each at dockside when you have clear water – you’ll be amazed at the difference especially with small floating Rapalas.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

When I fish smallmouth around here I always use a floro leader….suffix in 10lb…it also helps if I run into pike while casting for smallmouth. If I am on more of a multispecies approach I will use a snap. I have caught smallmouth doing this but have more confidence in using a floro leader when directly targeting smallmouth. – QB

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

After the first summer of tying directly, via Palomar knot, I found that I could soon re-tie faster than I could open a snap and replace a lure, and then get the snap back in place perfectly so it won’t slip or open.

Bryan Myers

For me it depends what I am using. If I am using a crank bait or jerk bait I use a snap. It does make it easier to change baits but I use it more because it adds a little more action to the bait. If I am using a spinner bait or swim jig, I tie direct with a palomar knot. If I am using an inline spinner I often will put a snap swivel on to help prevent line twist.

zeke6710
    NULL

i have found just using a small snap with no swivel is the best way to go. if you use a black one it is not noticable in the water and the action of the lure is not inhibited, also changing baits is a snap too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.