Topwater Baits

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Headed to WI to a few small lakes to fish with the kids. I’m wondering if guys have been seeing good topwater action in most lakes on calm days. As a kid, topwater fishing for largemouths literally hooked me from a young age. Interested in doing the same for my boys.

What baits? What would you recommend for kids? Have a few skitter-pops I’ll be throwing, and if the bite is good, they will be too.

Joel

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I’m not a bass guy, but when I do I really like the Zoom Horny Toads. White is a go too color as well as June Bug/Chart legs.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Joel
    Do these lakes have smallmouth and largemouth or just one bass species. Lures I’d throw would be different for each.
    Jack

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Oldie but goodies – Tiny Torpedo and Devil horse – They work great because fish don’t see them much anymore.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A buzzbait is also a Great bait for kids to throw – Fun to watch the bait and even more fun to watch fish hit them.

renright

Use spooks or poppers if the bass are biting aggresively, if they aren’t, then use plastics on the bottom. I have had good luck with the newest frog made by Rebel. It’s a smaller frog but perfect size for bass right now. Good action too!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For me topwater = storm chug bugs. OR at least they’re my first choice. They catch both largies and smallies and are very easy to fish. And the last time I looked they’re still pretty inexpensive which is nice because the places I tend to fish topwater for bass, usually smallmouth, are loaded with toothie critters that seem to take enjoyment out of stealing baits with a big price tag.

red89
    Hudson

I was catching them pretty good tonight on a popper style bait. Nothing over 15 inches though.

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

Frog colored POP-R “never” fails me when fishing LM/SM bass in rivers or lakes around here. No doubt other colors would work well too.

Jake_A

There is an awesome topwater bite going on in the Polk County, WI area. Black/Blue Zoom Horny Toads. Otherwise white buzzbaits

Hope you guys have a blast!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

For me topwater = storm chug bugs. OR at least they’re my first choice. They catch both largies and smallies and are very easy to fish. And the last time I looked they’re still pretty inexpensive which is nice because the places I tend to fish topwater for bass, usually smallmouth, are loaded with toothie critters that seem to take enjoyment out of stealing baits with a big price tag.

X2

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

The toads they were talking about are awesome baits. Northerns like them too but you can never go wrong with a buzzbait.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

I agree james.. I like frogs to.. always a big fish bait for me.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

1) Torpedo
    2) Chug Bug
    3) Super Pop R

I have had some good early success with the new X Rap Prop

riverrat63

I love useing the zell poper it u can walk the dog and chug it at the same time, and a chug bug for a diff chug sound, they work for largmouth and smallys

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Joel
    Do these lakes have smallmouth and largemouth or just one bass species. Lures I’d throw would be different for each.
    Jack

Hey Jack:

We fished for largies, but I’d be interested in seeing your selections for each!

Joel

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m partial to Sizmic Toads fishing around weeds and cover.
    Have always loved Chug Bugs when water is mostly weed free.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.