It’s Time…..

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Driving home tonight after coaching football, what do I see all over the road. Frogs, Frogs, and more Frogs.
    The migration has started and that means my favorite time of the year is here.
    The topwater frogging bite.
    Time to catch the biggest bass of the year as they have the feedbag on trying to fatten up on the easy pickins.

Lets see, off Monday and forecast light winds. I am SO getting out froggin tomorrow.

Ron

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Catch a biggun for me, please!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The new baby and momma need their sleep.
    They won’t miss you for a few hours, RIGHT

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Right…between taking care of the baby and momma, I need MY sleep! Hopefully, we can get out of the hospital tomorrow. 6 nights on crappy pullout couches is killing me. Hopefully, I can get out a few more times when things get a bit more routine and the FW heals up.

wormdunker

Might finally catch one on my River to Sea Dahlberg frog. As opposed to watching it do what it does as I sit in wonder about how doggone real it looks how can a bait look so real and never get bit…..? too big?

brunn
    Andover, MN

Not only are frogs migrating, but salamanders. Holy cow, I’ve never seen so many crawling around. At least up in Andover, they seem to be everywhere.

red89
    Hudson

So how late into the fall you fish frogs? In the slop im assuming…
    Alot of Pros and guys on shows I watch who fish frogs, say they are not actually trying to imitate frogs, but rather bait fish. I guess my theory is they just think its something moving and its a good size to eat, so they attack.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I sit in wonder about how doggone real it looks how can a bait look so real and never get bit…..?

Remember that most bait are made to look realistic to US not the fish. The manufactures have perfected since we walk down an isle of the store and think WOW that a fish would have to bite that lure so I need to buy two incase I lose one.

Quote:

too big?

Almost not possible this time of year

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

So how late into the fall you fish frogs? In the slop i’m assuming…

Till almost ice up, the shallow bite gets great especially if we get a last fall warm up.

Quote:

Alot of Pros and guys on shows I watch who fish frogs, say they are not actually trying to imitate frogs, but rather bait fish. I guess my theory is they just think its something moving and its a good size to eat, so they attack.

Good theory
    The one exception is during the fall when we know that the frogs and salamanders leave the small ponds and puddles, head for a lake so they have somewhere to hibernate for the winter. Bass are not the only species that use this yearly migration to their advantage, walleyes, pike, and muskies have all been caught on frogs this time year.

Ron

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Ron,
    How did you do with the Froggin??
    Pic?

Jack

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.