Spare trailer hub

• isu22andy

Thinking about picking up a spare trailer hub for my Shorelandr trailer for some longer hauls . For less than 100 bucks Ill take some cheap insurance . Trailer is Shorelander Profile 2000 model SLB24LW , 2003 . Can buy one from Shorelander for 180-200 bucks . The specs on their schematic are 1 3/8 x 1 1/16 . Will the online 60 dollar hubs fit just as well and seal up nice on the axel – I feel like this should simple but for some reason isn’t the axel tapered ? Any advice – thanks .

gregory
    Red wing,mn

What I did on my fish house was put new hubs on it and kept a old one for a good spare cleaned it up and repacked it and just keep in a box in the shack. What I like about about this option is I know they fit. I ordered them from a local parts store as they were odd ball hubs. No need to order from shore lander in my opinion.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

The aftermarket one will be just fine.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Shorelander trailers have a little different seal size than standard and an additional spindle sleeve that slips over the area of the spindle that the seal rides on so that it is a smooth surface. I think if I recall when I changed my bearings I replaced the spindle sleeves as well. If you were on the side of the road in a pinch im sure you could leave them. My trailer is a SLR23SW. Here are some of the part numbers I had looked up a few years ago. Not sure where you are located but I was able to just go to a local shorelander dealer (Dan’s South Side Marine) and get the spindle sleeve and seals
    4470400, HUB 1 3/8 X 1 1/16 CAST
    4410089, SPINDLE SLEEVE 1 3/8-1 1/16
    4410130, SEAL 1 3/8IN

For a spare hub what I did was order the following since it came without grease and then packed it with my preferred grease (red n tacky) and installed the correct shorelander seal on it. Have not had to use it since its a spare and hopefully never will! These come with cheap chines bearings, but for a spare it probably does not matter. You should be able to buy timkin bearings from rock auto or amazon for pretty cheap as well.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Recstuff.com is where I get my tires, packed hubs, and even trailer lights. Very reasonable and fast delivery.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I did the same when I replaced mine just kept one of the old ones and take on longer trips, and hope it is never needed.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Do you know how to change seals and repack bearings?
    If not learning how to do that and doing so yearly or bi-yearly depending on use will prevent 99% of bearing issues.

Axles are not tapered. Some may have steps in them with 2 different sized bearings and some are strait shaft with both bearing being the same.

You do not need namebrand.

Karry Kyllo

Thinking about picking up a spare trailer hub for my Shorelandr trailer for some longer hauls . For less than 100 bucks Ill take some cheap insurance . Trailer is Shorelander Profile 2000 model SLB24LW , 2003 . Can buy one from Shorelander for 180-200 bucks . The specs on their schematic are 1 3/8 x 1 1/16 . Will the online 60 dollar hubs fit just as well and seal up nice on the axel – I feel like this should simple but for some reason isn’t the axel tapered ? Any advice – thanks .

If you do buy one, buy a pregreased hub. If you ever need to replace a hub on the road, it’ll be fairly simple, clean and quick to install. I always carry one with me just in case.

isu22andy

Shorelander trailers have a little different seal size than standard and an additional spindle sleeve that slips over the area of the spindle that the seal rides on so that it is a smooth surface. I think if I recall when I changed my bearings I replaced the spindle sleeves as well. If you were on the side of the road in a pinch im sure you could leave them. My trailer is a SLR23SW. Here are some of the part numbers I had looked up a few years ago. Not sure where you are located but I was able to just go to a local shorelander dealer (Dan’s South Side Marine) and get the spindle sleeve and seals
    4470400, HUB 1 3/8 X 1 1/16 CAST
    4410089, SPINDLE SLEEVE 1 3/8-1 1/16
    4410130, SEAL 1 3/8IN

For a spare hub what I did was order the following since it came without grease and then packed it with my preferred grease (red n tacky) and installed the correct shorelander seal on it. Have not had to use it since its a spare and hopefully never will! These come with cheap chines bearings, but for a spare it probably does not matter. You should be able to buy timkin bearings from rock auto or amazon for pretty cheap as well.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”SOUTHWEST WHEEL 5-Hole, 4.5" Bolt Circle Idler Hub for 3,500 lb. Axles” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_WobdGy7T66cWI3&asin=B001IN7F0G&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe></div&gt;

Redoing a set of bearings – the spindle sleeve just came off when I pulled the hub . I assume this is why the seal was puking a little grease now and then. I assume this supposed to be glued on the spindle or I need to grab a new and press fit it ? The new seal fits over it nicely anyway . .

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I bought new spindle sleeves for mine when I did them last and it definitely was not a press fit. I think I ended up using some sealant to adhere them to the spindle and just wiped off any excess after seating them and then let that dry before installing the hubs. If I recall I bought the seals and spindle sleeves at the same place.

isu22andy

I bought new spindle sleeves for mine when I did them last and it definitely was not a press fit. I think I ended up using some sealant to adhere them to the spindle and just wiped off any excess after seating them and then let that dry before installing the hubs. If I recall I bought the seals and spindle sleeves at the same place.

Appreciate the response . Looks like permatex sleeve retainer is what I’ve seen recommended .

Mike m

Where do you guys find the trailer model number ? Is it stamped somewhere on the trailer ?

isu22andy

Where do you guys find the trailer model number ? Is it stamped somewhere on the trailer ?

On a shorelander I believe it’s on a sticker on the inside of the frame .

slough

I burned up a bearing a couple years ago on my trailer and it seemed like part of the bearing was stuck to the spindle (almost like burned on). I don’t think having a spare hub would have been much help at that time. Am I dreaming? I see a lot of talk about having the peace of mind of having a spare hub along…

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I know on my old boat the spindle where the seal rode was all pitted and chewed up on one side. Bearing Buddy sells a seal kit that that is very similar to the shore lander that has a stainless steel spindle sleeve so that that seal is riding on a smooth surface.

https://www.bearingbuddy.com/shop-spindle

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I had no clue pre-greased hubs were a thing. Thats a great idea.

isu22andy

I burned up a bearing a couple years ago on my trailer and it seemed like part of the bearing was stuck to the spindle (almost like burned on). I don’t think having a spare hub would have been much help at that time. Am I dreaming? I see a lot of talk about having the peace of mind of having a spare hub along…

Not sure I guess – I always figured if s guy had to unhook and find a hammer and punch to punch it off the shaft was cheaper than a tow truck .

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sure is a cheap piece on mind. Even in your situation or even a grooved or pitted spindly chances are a new hub will get you someplace to be able to deal with the rest of it. In my repair kit is also a file to help deal with this issue.

Charles

I take care of mine however I smoked a bearing last year, thank the lord it was at my mother in laws so I park the boat and over night’ed brand new pre-greased hubs. I then took the other good one and rebuilt it and now I carry that one around as a pre-greased one.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.