Some August Notes- Leech Lake

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I will admit that Walleye fishing in August is less consistent than early summer, but enough keepers and bigger slot fish are coming in most days to keep it interesting. This is my favorite time to cast artificial lures and troll crankbaits for these tasty favorites. Walleyes often have full bellies at this time so a reaction bite is often required to get these fish on the hook.

This is also my favorite month to go multi-species as Bass, Muskie and Sunfish are at their peak metabolism, and are aggressively feeding. An early morning Walleye trip combined with some bassin or Muskie casting can make for great memories in August.

Attachments:
    1. 51-008.jpg

2. RIMG0738.jpg

3. RIMG0741.jpg

4. RIMG0743.jpg

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

WOW, how did that musky taste? Nice one!!!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Looks like a great time. Hell of a Ski

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

It tasted awesome!

Attachments:
    1. 51-017.jpg

2. 51-016.jpg

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

I heard they taste like loon? -)

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

It may be mid August, but half-day Walleye limits and kicker fish are still the standard here on Leech Lake.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0805.jpg

2. RIMG0799.jpg

3. RIMG0801.jpg

4. RIMG0797.jpg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

It tasted awesome!

Your release pic game is consistently great Phil… Keep up the great work brother!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Thanks Will! Here is another 50+ from last week. There wasn’t much light left though.

Attachments:
    1. tiana52-013.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The biggest fish from today was a tank, pics don’t do it justice.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0814.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

With August wrapping up and water temps up and down, Leech Lake Walleyes definitely show signs of having spit personalities. I’m finding fish bunched up in the 7′-10′ range hammering jig and minnow combos one day, and spread out on mid depth flats the next where covering water is essential to contacting enough active fish required for a productive day.

I start my days fishing live bait in shallow areas looking for those tight schools that can make for excellent catching. When we strike out, or the bite fizzles, crankbaits are often trolled in 10-20 f.o.w. where 2-3 fish per hour is often the standard. Either method can be productive and will continue to produce into fall.

Chubbing on deeper structure is another option, though I prefer to stay shallower than 30′ as there are usually fish to be caught without digging so deep.

September is an awesome month to chase Walleyes on Leech Lake, I’ll see you out there.

Attachments:
    1. 8-30-15.jpg

2. RIMG0818.jpg

holstc

When you are pulling cranks in 10-20 FOW, are you using lead to get down or larger diving baits?

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

When you are pulling cranks in 10-20 FOW, are you using lead to get down or larger diving baits?

When we are targeting 15″-20″ fish, and it is deeper than 15′, I usually pull smaller cranks on lead.

When it’s less than ~15′ I use mono.

When I’m targeting bigger fish I use bigger cranks on mono…unless it’s 20+ f.o.w.

holstc

Thanks for the reply Phil. Our group is headed up the weekend of 10/3 with the hopes of perchin and walleye during the day with some night trolling on the rocks. I typically fish Mille Lacs during this time period. Any advice for fishing Leech in early October is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Thanks for the reply Phil. Our group is headed up the weekend of 10/3 with the hopes of perchin and walleye during the day with some night trolling on the rocks. I typically fish Mille Lacs during this time period. Any advice for fishing Leech in early October is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Night trolling sandy shoreline breaks with #14 Husky Jerks has been good to me in early October. Chubbing in Walker bay can be very good during the day too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.