Some July Notes – Leech L.

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

With July almost gone, I thought I would put up pics of some of the more memorable fish in my boat from the past month for all of you IDO fish heads.

First off, we are just starting to get into muskie mode as the bite seems to get better with each passing month here on Leech Lake. We are moving fish now in weeds, rocks, reeds and sand areas all across the lake. If I had my pick, I would only fish from August on to experience the best action of the year for these giants.

It has been quite an experience on the walleye front, with fish coming to the net on any number of presentations, and from 3 to 30 feet of water. The more productive methods have included: pitching light jigs and leeches, slip bobbering, rigging redtail chubs on humps, snapping jigging with jigging raps, trolling crankbaits on leadcore line and trolling stick baits with segmented leadcore behind planer boards. I have to say that I do miss May and June fishing at times, when I pretty much know that we will be fishing 1/8oz jigs and minnows in 5-13 f.o.w. on main lake points and flats during virtually every outing. In fact, I have had 16 rods rigged and ready with various tactics this month, and some days we use them all to get our bites. In my opinion, there is no silver bullet for July and August walleyes on Leech Lake, but being persistent seems to pay off more often then not.

Cheers and hook-sets!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1429.jpg

2. DSC02139.jpg

3. IMG_1526.jpg

4. IMG_1432.jpg

5. IMG_1525.jpg

6. IMG_1567-1.jpg

7. IMG_1512.jpg

8. IMG_1563.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Two more big ones.
    Cheers and hook-sets!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1261.jpg

2. IMG_1368.jpg

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Great report Phil! Lots of smiles in those pics gotta love it!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Always fun to read your updates Phil. Pat and I are headed up to fish out of Trapper’s Thursday and Friday. You around for a cold one in Walker after the sun goes down?

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Hope to see you in the next couple days Phil! Great report, and nice photos too bud! Maybe we can do a crawfish boil Thursday evening….

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Always fun to read your updates Phil. Pat and I are headed up to fish out of Trapper’s Thursday and Friday. You around for a cold one in Walker after the sun goes down?

Darn tootin!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Hope to see you in the next couple days Phil! Great report, and nice photos too bud! Maybe we can do a crawfish boil Thursday evening….

Just give me a heads up and I can sink some pots.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.