Solix Versus Helix – Opinions Requested

• Raptormaster

Let me know everyone if you can inform me regarding any significant differences between the Solix and Helix by Humminbird.

I see the Helix GN2 are coming down in price at places such as Scheels, etc.

Is the Solix noticeably superior? More expensive obviously. I am looking at 12 inch models

Thanks!

RM

JoeMX1825
    MN

it might seem like a silly thing to complain about, but I specifically chose the Helix over the Onix (When i was looking a few years ago) due to the quick release bracket for the cords vs the fine threaded connections for each cord on the back of the Onix/Solix… I remove my head unit all the time and the threaded connectors would be a pita for me everytime I used it…I also didn’t like the idea of a touchscreen as I like my screens to be as clean without smudge marks, just personal preference..

Outside of that, the Solix units are far superior to the Helix line, but also almost twice the cost. Energy draw is another thing to think about with the Solix…

Raptormaster

Joe what is superior about it? Is faster processor? Clearer screen?

Also excellent point about disconnect. I live on local lake w lift and always remove control head after use!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

If I were you, I’d be hunting for a Gen 2 Helix at the steepest discount you can find. Maybe even wait a bit.

I bought the Gen 1 12″ Helix when the Gen 2 came out and paid half of retail. You could get two for one. I got it from Scheels St Cloud. They had a dozen or so at the time, and in the half-hour it took me to make up my mind on a $1000 impulse buy, they sold six of them right in front of me, mostly fulfillment of online orders.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe what is superior about it? Is faster processor? Clearer screen?

Also excellent point about disconnect. I live on local lake w lift and always remove control head after use!

better resolution, complete customization of the screens, touchscreen interface, probably several other things I can’t think of off the top of my head. Helix SI is probably your best bet, save $$ and get the gen2 in the biggest screen you can afford.

Musky Ed

I also chose the Helix over the Solix due to the quick release power cord. If money is an issue, there are some good prices out there on some G2n units, instead of the latest G3N. While I have only been out once in my new boat with the latest G3N units (12″ and 10″), I did notice that the fish arches seemed much more defined on the my new G3 12″ than the 12″ G2 unit that I had before. Cost wasn’t as much of an issue as the connector was, as to what one to get.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.