Solar panel for charging a battery

• Nick Schmitz

I was wondering what you guys are using to keep your batteries charged in the fish house. I’m looking to keep my Vexilar and underwater camera’s battery charged. Plus maybe a light or two at night. What size of a solar panel would I need? Would I need something in between the panel and my battery to keep it from over charging? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin Yopp

Might visit duravolt.net and ask their advice … they told what I needed and gave me a good price. Their stuff is pretty reliable and worth the $$$.

Kevin Cegielski

I just researched the crap out of this. I just went on a very remote fly-in trip to north central ontario. When we arrived, we realized the cabin was a 12 volt solar system, with no way to charge my Helix 7. When I got home, I figured this out. For apx $75 on Amazon, I now have it all. 20 watt panel, inline controller, (to prevent overcharging), and all the wiring. Everything weighs about 4 lbs total.

Contact me for details. Kevin

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think i have 8 flasher batteries.
    If I go on a ‘perm’ trip…I pack them all… And usually have enough to share with everyone else who only brings one battery!

On a portable trip..I have 2 spares along. Never considered running out of flasher battery as an option…

2c

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Can you post what you got? I have a 14w panel with USB out and was wondering what I would need to trickle charge a 12v.

I saw battery tender makes a unit but never really looked into it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.