soft plastic hybrids and modifications

• Spoon Minnow

Mods do work and even the usual unmodified lures have their place when using various techniques and retrieves.

I post about the Gary Y Kut Tail worm basically using a light jighead and proper hook size to exit the lure in the right place. The exposed hook (not T-rigged) can catch fish of all kinds from the surface to any depth below it. But here is one I discovered by accident after a pickerel bit off the tail of a twister tail grub using only the body.

The action using a combination of rod tip twitch and slight reel handle turns makes the lure dart/ glide/ and drop slowly.

I fashioned a few from the front part of other soft plastics i took from molds.

Chartreuse and black is another:

BTW, I do believe some colors do well in most waters – perch colors especially: chartreuse/black and orange. Don’t know why but have more confidence in soft plastics using that color combo.

They caught everything in 4 different lakes including some decent bass, pickerel and a load of panfish.

If you got some curl tail grubs lying around, remove the tail and rig on 1/24 or 1/16 oz ball heads and see how they move using the above retrieve. Even a child can fish on it even using a float.

Who knew a do-nothing lure with no tail would be able to catch fish with a unique action such as this?!

BTW, color choice is one I adhere to for different lures – including soft plastics. As you’ve noticed from the examples, yellow perch colors is one of my confidence colors: chartreuse/black and orange. (Dye use to color those above.)

Cw

Kinda like a ned rig. If they are not too chewed up a needle and some hair and ya got a red neck fuzz e grub. I pour grubs just to make those.

robby
    Quad Cities

Kinda like a ned rig. If they are not too chewed up a needle and some hair and ya got a red neck fuzz e grub. I pour grubs just to make those.

Yep, Ned Rig. Good use of otherwise trash though.

Cw

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cw wrote:</div>

Yep, Ned Rig. Good use of otherwise trash though.

Perfect way to recycle senkos ha.

Spoon Minnow

Been long time since I used a Senko. Still have about 10 bags hanging around somewhere….

Bet the swimbaits I pour would catch a wally or two.

Attachments:
    1. swimbaits-and-hook_wt-sizes.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.